Focus in Sports Photography

I had focus tracking with lock on set to 3 normal. Is that too short?

Ok so I will get out of AF- C and go to AF- Auto. What AF area mode should I use Auto?, 3D?, 39pt? or 21pt?

Can someone please tell me where I can find info on how to upload photos to this forum??

I had focus tracking with lock on set to 3 normal. Is that too short?

Turn it totally off. Make sure you are not using VR if your lens has it. I shoot basketball in crappy gyms beteen 1/250 and 1/500 @f/2.8 with no problems. I use AF-C, 9 point.

AF-A is NOT going to help. Use AF-C 9pt. I will try to lock focus on the player for a split second before releasing the shutter. I believe your camera defaults to "focus-release", so you need to give the lens a second to achieve focus.

I shot some outdoor soccer this year and got amazing results with my D7000/70-200mm VRII combo. I used the same settings I used for basketball, but I was able to shoot near 1/1000 to totally stop ball/foot motion.

Last edited:
Without seeing a photo, it sounds like you are using the wrong AF settings. As stated above for Nikon use AF-C (AI servo on Canon). You are fine in Aperture priority, If you're comfortable shooting there stay there and don't worry about manual mode. (don't have heart attack manual guys lol) Use a single focus point and aim straight for the players face. If you let the camera pick the focal point you'll miss a ton of good shots.

Take your ISO off of auto. If it's outdoor lacrosse you should be fine with anything below 400. In good light go as low as the camera will set it and still get a good shutter speed. You shouldn't have to limit your shutter speed to 1/1000 or higher either. F2.8 on a sunny day will definitely give you some fast shutter speeds. Sometimes I like to stop down around F4 to F8 to get multiple players sharp like when an attackman is driving through a defender at the crease.

Good luck and keep practicing. I look forward to seeing some of your photos.

Without seeing a photo, it sounds like you are using the wrong AF settings. As stated above for Nikon use AF-C (AI servo on Canon). You are fine in Aperture priority, If you're comfortable shooting there stay there and don't worry about manual mode. (don't have heart attack manual guys lol) Use a single focus point and aim straight for the players face. If you let the camera pick the focal point you'll miss a ton of good shots.

Take your ISO off of auto. If it's outdoor lacrosse you should be fine with anything below 400. In good light go as low as the camera will set it and still get a good shutter speed. You shouldn't have to limit your shutter speed to 1/1000 or higher either. F2.8 on a sunny day will definitely give you some fast shutter speeds. Sometimes I like to stop down around F4 to F8 to get multiple players sharp like when an attackman is driving through a defender at the crease.

Good luck and keep practicing. I look forward to seeing some of your photos.

Best advice I've heard in this post so far!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back