Focus On Imaging 2012 - UK Photography Expo

Mot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
theflashbulb.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, it's less than a month to go until Focus On Imaging 2012 and I was wondering if anyone here is thinking of going or has any anecdotes of previous shows. In case you don't know this is a Photography Exhibition based in Birmingham, England that is open to both businesses and members of the public. Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Olympus, Broncolour, Bowens and even Kodak are attending, among others, so it should be a good opportunity to test future releases or their current line-up.

I've never been to this, or any other exhibition, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they're like and whether they're something I'd like to attend regularly.

So, anyone going or have any stories?

Got my free ticket going on Wednesday, I have been for the last 5 years i would recommend you catch one of the talks at Capture One if posible by Drew Gardener
Drew Gardner Photography

Thanks for the tip, are there specific days that he does his talks?

I'll probably be getting my ticket in the not too distant future. I've read about horror stories of massive queues for tickets! I'll hopefully be going on Tuesday or Wednesday, probably Wednesday despite having a University deadline on that day. I'll have to ask for an early hand-in.

Edit, he has some interesting work! I really like some of his personal work.

Got my free ticket going on Wednesday, I have been for the last 5 years i would recommend you catch one of the talks at Capture One if posible by Drew Gardener
Drew Gardner Photography

I'll probably be getting my ticket in the not too distant future. I've read about horror stories of massive queues for tickets! I'll hopefully be going on Tuesday or Wednesday, probably Wednesday despite having a University deadline on that day. I'll have to ask for an early hand-in.

He has been there every year i have been i think he was on every day last year, don't know about ticket queues they send me a ticket every year and you can just walk in usually
Download this so you can get your bearings http://www.focus-on-imaging.co.uk/images/Focus_2012_Floorplan.pdf

Drew Gardner Photography

He has been there every year i have been i think he was on every day last year, don't know about ticket queues they send me a ticket every year and you can just walk in usually
Download this so you can get your bearings http://www.focus-on-imaging.co.uk/images/Focus_2012_Floorplan.pdf

Thanks for that! I'm guessing by the fact that you've advised that I get a map means that it's a sizeable place! I'll probably get it printed on A3 and fold it to fit my Filofax.

Also, since you're practically a FoI veteran, would you happen to know what the walk is like from the station? Busy roads, distance etc.

Thanks for that! I'm guessing by the fact that you've advised that I get a map means that it's a sizeable place! I'll probably get it printed on A3 and fold it to fit my Filofax.

Also, since you're practically a FoI veteran, would you happen to know what the walk is like from the station? Busy roads, distance etc.

I think there could be a free bus, there is if you use the carpark

I've been for the past 3 or 4 years, always interesting to go and see what's going on in the industry...

I'm not sure if it's too late to do so, but if you register as a photographer (if you're a pro that is) you'll get a free pass sent to you.

The NEC is massive, wear comfortable shoes.... they'll give you a free map on the day.

Unfortunately I'm just a typical poor student. I'll have to pay the £8 pre-order fee.

I know it's probably a ridiculous question, and I already know the answer, but how busy does it get? I'm a village dweller that doesn't get to see the big lights of a city very often; I probably need to mentally prepare myself! I'm also guessing that there's queues to trial the gear?

I have also heard that there are used equipment stands, did I hear right? I'll hopefully be in the market for some M39 lenses and a bulk loader by the time the shows on.

Also, good to know I get a map there and then. I was going to print one but I just use the online one to get an idea of where I want to go.

I'm really interested in the used equipment. I am in a position where I'm looking at a Canon 7 Rangefinder or an EF Wide Zoom, hopefully I'll get a chance to try or buy some while I'm there.

I wonder if it's better to go earlier on in the week before the best equipment has sold.

So the doors have closed for another year at Focus on Imaging. I was lucky enough to attend today, the final day, for a few hours of camera related awe. I was wondering how everyone else found it. This year was especially good; Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Fuji released flagship models that were all at the show.

I was fortunate enough to be able to compare the 1Dx and 1D Mark IV side by side as well as the D4 and D3x. I also got to play with the 5DIII and 5DII, Olympus OM-D and the Fuji X-Pro. That's not to mention a mock studio shoot with the Hasselblad H4D. Fun times! I managed to nab a few files from the 1D Mark IV with 600mm f/4 as well as the D700 and 200-400 f/4, the files look great in Lightroom! The best part was probably seeing the infamous Sigma Bazooka Lens!

How did everyone else find it?

Last edited:
I was there today and it seems to be getting smaller every year, Sony was not there (not pro enough :lol:) bought a sensor loup kit, Capture One pro 6, and another light stand and nearly another studio light

I was there today and it seems to be getting smaller every year, Sony was not there (not pro enough :lol:) bought a sensor loup kit, Capture One pro 6, and another light stand and nearly another studio light

I could have seen you and not even known! I could have shot you with the telephoto banks and not even known!

I didn't return with anything exciting. I got a "I :heart: B&W" badge from Ilford as well as 4 rolls of film. I got the usual brochures and stuff. The main thing was the satisfaction of playing with so many cameras that I will never own. Unfortunately I wasn't there long enough for lectures.

Was the loupe kit from the lens pen stall? I know they were selling some.

I could have seen you and not even known! I could have shot you with the telephoto banks and not even known!

I didn't return with anything exciting. I got a "I :heart: B&W" badge from Ilford as well as 4 rolls of film. I got the usual brochures and stuff. The main thing was the satisfaction of playing with so many cameras that I will never own. Unfortunately I wasn't there long enough for lectures.

Was the loupe kit from the lens pen stall? I know they were selling some.

Not sure what stand but it had the loup, pen, 2 sets of batteries and a blower £40, i didn't even have a look at the new Canons or Nikons but did have a look at all the large format cameras, Drew Gardner had to go home early because his dad was taken ill

Most reactions

Back