Focusing a Self Portrait

The shot where it was suggested that you point to the floor, aim and use that would not work too well. The distance from a lens 4 feet off the ground aimed at the floor of the spot you want to stand/sit is greater than a straight line horizontal to where you would be. Talk about some visible back focus!

If all else fails, you always have hyperfocal. ;) :lol:

I did not know Battou, that you were manually focusing, but it really doesn't change all that much. If you place something where your face/body will be (use your girlfriend, father, mother, next door neighbor, maniquin or a broom) to sit in that area while you focus and then play with DOF, you will get a nice shot thats in focus.

And isn't there a rule here somewhere that says that since you asked for help, you have to show us the fruits of your labours? :wink:

Jerry is on point. Stop down as far as you can.

I am? Holy crap! lol.. just kidding.

Seriously, it is not often that DOF is a big issue in portraits anyways. The area behind is a wall, muslin or something similar anyways.

I did not know Battou, that you were manually focusing, but it really doesn't change all that much. If you place something where your face/body will be (use your girlfriend, father, mother, next door neighbor, maniquin or a broom) to sit in that area while you focus and then play with DOF, you will get a nice shot thats in focus.
That is my fault, I kinda forget at times:blushing:

And isn't there a rule here somewhere that says that since you asked for help, you have to show us the fruits of your labours? :wink:
I intend to

Kinda like me and removing the lens cap when I first started, and then wondering why I get this mild underexposure of that frame.

Good thing we are forgiving of ourselves... lol

As long as we are having fun learning and enjoying ourselves, it makes no diff as far as I am concerned.

Kinda like me and removing the lens cap when I first started, and then wondering why I get this mild underexposure of that frame.

Good thing we are forgiving of ourselves... lol

As long as we are having fun learning and enjoying ourselves, it makes no diff as far as I am concerned.

I've never forgotten my lens cap.....then again I would need a lens cap to forget but that is beside the point

I just took a self portrait this morning. I actually put my rolling chair about where I was going to be and then focused it on that. Worked like a charm.

I am using a Canon EF with Manual lenses from the mid seventies, for any sort of remote release I will need to acuire a release cable.

No delayed timer release? I am sincerely not familar with Canon EFs, but my father's old Nikon F2A has a delay timer built into it, thats 1970's technology as well.

If not, though the focusing aspect should not prove an issue... being close enough to the camera to press the shutter *and* being 10 feet across the room to be in the pic at the same time... will prove challenging without either someone to press the shuter for you or you getting a long release cable.

If you are really desperately in need of a self portrait, you could always do one of those cheesy pics where you turn the camera around to face you and snap away... lol.

Mark the spot where you are going to stand, then stand there, manually focus on the tripod. Now put the camera on the tripod, set the timer, and stand in your spot. As mentioned, stop down to allow enough dof for "fudge factor".

If you were using autofocus, you could darken all the room lights, use a remote release, and half press it to autofocus, while lighting your face with a small flashlight. This ensures that the focus is accurate on your face.

No delayed timer release? I am sincerely not familar with Canon EFs, but my father's old Nikon F2A has a delay timer built into it, thats 1970's technology as well.

If not, though the focusing aspect should not prove an issue... being close enough to the camera to press the shutter *and* being 10 feet across the room to be in the pic at the same time... will prove challenging without either someone to press the shuter for you or you getting a long release cable.

Yes, It dose have a time delay, That is how I did the previous set. Never the less I do intend to accuire a release cable and couple them up (so as to not have the release cable itn the picture:lmao:)

If you are really desperately in need of a self portrait, you could always do one of those cheesy pics where you turn the camera around to face you and snap away... lol.

Been there...done that
http://www.photo-lucidity.com/pic-251.html
http://www.photo-lucidity.com/pic-252.html
:lmao:

Warning: with time delay on some P&S cameras. When you push the button for the 10 seconds, the camera focuses and sets the exposure. You walk into the frame, and it has already focused on the tree forty yards back from you, and exposed for the sky. Oops! :lmao:

Read what jon_k wrote. Auto focus is dependent on contrast.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back