Focusing a Self Portrait

Warning: with time delay on some P&S cameras. When you push the button for the 10 seconds, the camera focuses and sets the exposure. You walk into the frame, and it has already focused on the tree forty yards back from you, and exposed for the sky. Oops! :lmao:

Read what jon_k wrote. Auto focus is dependent on contrast.

I'm relying on a manual focus.

A little dust on the glasses, huh? :lol:

Let us know how this all turns out, I am curious to know how you decide to handle this challenge. :)

My glasses are always covered in dust, When I was doing auto Body I grew so accustomed to it I don'e even see it any more

I am putting this on the shelf temporarily, I just sent out the roll of film with the original set that I think I screwed up on it. I want to see how this BWCN works before I put more in the camera. If I am not too happy with the BW film I will just do them in color and convert later, but I want to see the results before the next attempt. If I did not screw up the first set too badly I will post them.

Although I am shelving the project I still would like any additional advice so.....

This might be overly simple and maybe there's an obvious flaw but......
If you're using manual focus
Sit/Stand where you're going to be and focus on your tripod. Then just put the camera back on the tripod, set the timer and go back to where you were.:er:

I have to agree with pretty much damned near every body here.

hang a sheet of newsprint at the plane of your eyes, focus on the print, then use that focus point as a reference.

Also, you didn't tell us, why can't your GF/BF/W/H/S.O./next door neighbor take the actual picture?

Also, unless you have studio lights,(you mentioned it was an indoor shot) your shutter speed is so slow, that you should be using a remote shutter release anyway, otherwise camera shake, just from the persons fingers, will defocus your shot.

Also, you didn't tell us, why can't your GF/BF/W/H/S.O./next door neighbor take the actual picture?

Because I am a pathetic individual, this person of witch you speek does not exist. As far as my neighbors go, I don't trust a one of them as far as I can throw them.

Ok, I am pretty sure that at this point, the reason for this thread is to either see who could come up with the silliest post or to see how long it would take before you are found out.

I mean... you have a camera on a tripod WITH a delay timer. How hard could it possibly be to:
- place a stool or chair in the middle of any room in your house

- fold a piece of paper in half to a 90 degree angle, place it on the chair and face one side of that paper to the camera

- focus your manual lens manually on that paper

- make sure to use an aperture that has a DOV of at least 10-15 inches at what ever distance your tripod is from your camera (if in doubt, distance be damned, use F/64)

- set the timer for 10 seconds

- press the shutter on the camera

- sit on the stool

- assume whatever facial expression you desire

- readjust your shirt

- recompose your facial expression once more

- stand up, because you just realized that you crunched your focusing paper

- get it out from under your butt... toss it t the ground quickly

- recompose your facial expression for the 3rd and hopefully last time

- don't answer that phone becuase you will be out of place, and all you will have taken a picture of is a stool in perfect focus, which kinda kills the concept of a self portrait

- wait for the camera to make it's usual shutter tripping sound and realize that this thread was more comical than challenging in terms of difficulty level.

Now puhleeze, give that a try... and you are forbidden to post again until you come back with a story of success.

:lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol:

Ok, I am pretty sure that at this point, the reason for this thread is to either see who could come up with the silliest post or to see how long it would take before you are found out.

I mean... you have a camera on a tripod WITH a delay timer. How hard could it possibly be to:
- place a stool or chair in the middle of any room in your house

- fold a piece of paper in half to a 90 degree angle, face one side of that paper to the camera

- focus your manual lens manually on that paper

- make sure to use an aperture that has a DOV of at least 10-15 inches at what ever distance your tripod is from your camera (if in doubt, distance be damned, use F/64)

- set the timer for 10 seconds

- press the shutter on the camera

- sit on the stool

- assume whatever facial expression you desire

- readjust your shirt

- recompose your facial expression once more

- stand up, because you just realized that you crunched your focusing paper

- get it out from under your butt... toss it t the ground quickly

- recompose your facial expression for the 3rd and hopefully last time

- don't answer that phone becuase you will be out of place, and all you will have taken a picture of is a stool in perfect focus, which kinda kills the concept of a self portrait

- wait for the camera to make it's usual shutter tripping sound and realize that this thread was more comical than challenging in terms of difficulty level.

Now puhleeze, give that a try... and you are forbidden to post again until you come back with a story of success.

:lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol:

I have three in processing, plus one of my croch, what more do you want :lmao:

What about total failure.....I mean dammit I cut off me own head :(

Is that what really happened? :lol:
How in focus did the rest of the headless portrait come out?

Time to get a girlfriend who is good with a camera. ;) :lmao:

Is that what really happened? :lol:
How in focus did the rest of the headless portrait come out?

Time to get a girlfriend who is good with a camera. ;) :lmao:

It was good enough to call acceptable, but it could have been better, I have a few Ideas I am gonna try at some point in the near future to see if I can't correct this compostiton issue.

Most reactions

Back