Fogo Island Hiking Trail

camperbc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It was a beautiful day yesterday, so despite my spinal issues, I decided to try going for a hike on the Lion's Den trail high above the town of Fogo. It was the first time I have ever been in this area, and the scenery was breathtakingly beautiful, with not another soul in sight for miles in all directions. It is a part of the island that used to be home to many small coastal communities (100+ years ago) but they have long since been relocated to more accessible areas. I wrongly assumed it would be a fairly easy trail, but in fact at times I felt like I was climbing Everest! Unfortunately, there were no icebergs in sight, but there was so much more to see, such as when I had to wait for a large herd of caribou to cross the trail ahead of me.

I had with me a suitcase-size camera case with all of my gear, which I felt was more necessary than the juice bottle, which I had decided to leave in the car! About a mile into the trail, I was sure wishing I had chosen to leave the gear behind and bring the juice. I was absolutely parched, tired and sore, yet figured I was too far along the trail to turn back again. As much as I enjoyed the scenery, I am sure I would have enjoyed it much more so, had I not been worried by this point about my own well-being. I could just imagine the embarrassment of having the search and rescue helicopter coming in to pick me up!

Anyway, to make a long story short, I finally made it to the other end of the trail, which mercifully, came out exactly where I had started from. I was so happy to see my car parked up ahead, knowing I was almost back to my drink bottle!

Today, my spine feels pretty good, but the muscles in my legs are so sore I can't walk at all! But you can just bet I will be on the trail again very soon! Next time I will bring plenty of fluids along with me!

If you look carefully in the distance, you can see the steps of the trail climbing way up the rocky slopes. I used my Sony Alpha with the 18-55mm kit lens for this shot.
Glen
Focus On Newfoundland : about my photography:

DSC02258a1000pix.jpg

A good looking landscape! Any more pictures from your hike?

Sure Canosonic, here's another one, taken from the base of that high hill in the distance, looking back this way.
Glen

DSC02265_stitcha1000pix.jpg

Please! A herd of cariboo? Show 'em to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back