Food Shoot Lighting options

K1surf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi ..Very new here..

Mainly a product Photographer with my company now getting into the restuarnt business..

So it means I get to shoot food now..I use 2 straight Bowen flash heads..but it does not work for intimate cookbook quality food photos..

I am wondering what light setups I should be thinking about...

Lens choice......

lighting techniques...

advice!!!...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

HELP? :confused:

You need very very soft lighting for food, i helped a photographer who shot food and he spent hours just setting his lighting for one shot

What Bowens units are you using? What modifiers do you have? I'd pretty sure with the right modifiers, you can do it. A lot of food photography I've seen is backlit with a big light source with reflectors in the front to light the front part of the food.

Try starting with a light high at 11 O'Clock, another low at 3 O'Clock and a reflector at 5 O'Clock.

I prefer softboxes on both lights but for sure on the back light.

Adjust as necessary :)

I also prefer more DOF than most...f8-f11.

Cheers, Don

I am very new to food photography as well, and have found that soft light is key for sure.

I've gotten some pretty good initial results with 2 shoot through umbrellas: one fairly close to the subject, above and behind, and another a little further away and nearly level at about 3 or 4 o'clock. With this setup I definately was craving the front reflector that others have mentioned though, will try that next time.

And I totally agree with the depth of field comment above. At the distances involved, even f10 has a good amount of bokeh. I didn't really like any of the shots I took at less than 7.1.

Sortof related.. don't wanna hijack this topic or anything... but what are the advantages of using softboxes over shoot-throughs?

Thanks for the tips..

Still trying...I like the Kelby site..might give that a try...

still looking for tips!!

Thanks again Folks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back