Raj_55555

Indian God of Photography
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.rajarshiphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got this shot using Jason's 24-70mm f2.8-4 lens. I really like how this image turned out, but was wondering if this is one of those shots which only the photographer falls in love with. :lol:
Should I have used a faster shutter speed and cranked up the ISO further(it's already high)? Although I like the blurriness of the image, I'd like have a few opinions too.
All in all I'd appreciate some serious critique on this one.

~The long walk home~
14181188580_422373404d_c.jpg

I don't mind a little motion blur, but what I do wish is that there was more detail in the face. Too see a tired expression or even the opposite - that's what would really tell a story here. Yes, it's night and he's carrying his packages and his posture suggests he's very tired, but I still say his face is needed to finish the image. There's enough of a hint of the expression that makes me think it would have been interesting, but because it's not clear, my attention ends up on the blur and the orange tint that dominates the light.

I think i would actually darken it. Its not going to make a good picture otherwise unless it has some artistic edits to it. Would be a great photo for my propose a challenge round two thread

I don't mind a little motion blur, but what I do wish is that there was more detail in the face. Too see a tired expression or even the opposite - that's what would really tell a story here. Yes, it's night and he's carrying his packages and his posture suggests he's very tired, but I still say his face is needed to finish the image. There's enough of a hint of the expression that makes me think it would have been interesting, but because it's not clear, my attention ends up on the blur and the orange tint that dominates the light.
Hmm.. to be honest I was trying to get the face, but this was a candid shot so :(, I recovered as much details as I could but I see your point. :)
Would you have prefer this image to not have orange tint? I could play around with that..

I think i would actually darken it. Its not going to make a good picture otherwise unless it has some artistic edits to it. Would be a great photo for my propose a challenge round two thread
Challange? :confused: Anyways thanks BGeise, I'll go and see what challenge you're talking about. :)

this your brother?

honestly I don't see anything here. Like if someone would to sit outside a store they could photo people carrying their packages out all day and night. Not really much to it I'm not sure why you took the photo. There doesn't appear to be anything long here either because the photo is shot in a pretty confined area. He could be walking two houses down or just crossed the street we don't know.

Ask yourself this 2 questions:

1. What would you like to tell with this photo?

2. Did your image achieved it's goal?

Start thinking :D

You have to realize this image has nothing going for it. Soft in a bad way, underexposed and lacking composition. That's as serious as I can be.

I'd like have a few opinions too.
All in all I'd appreciate some serious critique on this one.

As for me, I want to see all the lights the same color. I don't know how you could do that, but I absolutely love the orange light of the near streetlight, and the man's face in darkness adds a bit of mystery. My main problem is the landscape light on the house in the background. I wish it was as orange as the streetlight.

You wiped the EXIF, so I can't tell for sure, but it looks as if your aperture was not as wide open as it could have been. So until you start to see truly objectionable noise in the photographs, I say crank up the ISO. So for next time:

1. increase the ISO, and don't be bashful
2. select shutter priority or manual
3. shutter speed should be around 1/100 second to stop someone's natural walking motion toward the camera
4. see where the aperture is. If it is nearly full open, and you've got a good exposure, shoot it. If the aperture is part of the way stopped down, then maybe decrease the ISO, but that is something you probably don't need to worry about anyway.
5. watch the light and background to make the most of the shot.
6. direct your subject to move forward or back by inches until you get the light just right.
7. when everything is good, ask him to take one step back, and then walk forward, to get that natural movement. When he takes the forward step, he will be in the right place for the light, and you take the shot.

Camino triste a la casa. I think the tent is not for me. I like more of realism but that alone is personal preference, you say tomato, I say tomahto. The thought, idea is good and I see how the darkness has a certain gloomy feel to it. The face down, shadowed gives the triste/sad walk effect more than a burdon type of long walk. My take on this shot is that perhaps his dinner date failed to show, so he grabbed a couple things and began the sad walk home.
The "feel" is there but perhaps more could be done with the other's suggestions.

Hmm.. to be honest I was trying to get the face, but this was a candid shot so :(, I recovered as much details as I could but I see your point. :)
Would you have prefer this image to not have orange tint? I could play around with that..

I wouldn't mind seeing what you can do with the colors.

Street photography at night is really tricky. It's all about timing. Well, plus luck. You have to be lucky enough to be there with your camera when something interesting is happening with enough lighting to get what you want.

In some ways, it requires the same skill as taking good wildlife photos. You need to patient, you need to have your camera ready when something happens, and you have to take a sh$t ton of pictures :)

I think it falls short. I don't have a clear sense of what I'm looking at or why. The orange white... it feels like more of an error in white balance than something done intentionally to give a mood.

this your brother?

honestly I don't see anything here. Like if someone would to sit outside a store they could photo people carrying their packages out all day and night. Not really much to it I'm not sure why you took the photo. There doesn't appear to be anything long here either because the photo is shot in a pretty confined area. He could be walking two houses down or just crossed the street we don't know.

Nope! I don't have one. I was just sitting there with a friend of mine when I saw this dude come, just took the shot impulsively.

Ask yourself this 2 questions:

1. What would you like to tell with this photo?

2. Did your image achieved it's goal?

Start thinking :D

1. I don't know, I think limr got it spot on. I feel like a tired person going back home after a long day or something. I really don't know, thinking isn't exactly my forte :lol:
2. I never had one :lmao:

You have to realize this image has nothing going for it. Soft in a bad way, underexposed and lacking composition. That's as serious as I can be.
I appreciate your honest feedback keyseddie, thanks. :)

As for me, I want to see all the lights the same color. I don't know how you could do that, but I absolutely love the orange light of the near streetlight, and the man's face in darkness adds a bit of mystery. My main problem is the landscape light on the house in the background. I wish it was as orange as the streetlight.

You wiped the EXIF, so I can't tell for sure, but it looks as if your aperture was not as wide open as it could have been. So until you start to see truly objectionable noise in the photographs, I say crank up the ISO. So for next time:

1. increase the ISO, and don't be bashful
2. select shutter priority or manual
3. shutter speed should be around 1/100 second to stop someone's natural walking motion toward the camera
4. see where the aperture is. If it is nearly full open, and you've got a good exposure, shoot it. If the aperture is part of the way stopped down, then maybe decrease the ISO, but that is something you probably don't need to worry about anyway.
5. watch the light and background to make the most of the shot.
6. direct your subject to move forward or back by inches until you get the light just right.
7. when everything is good, ask him to take one step back, and then walk forward, to get that natural movement. When he takes the forward step, he will be in the right place for the light, and you take the shot.

Thanks for the detailed critique Designer and sorry about the EXIF, it wasn't intentional I must have messed up the settings in LR.
EXIF data -> ISO 1000, 28 mm, f2.8, 1/5 sec

I could have gone up till ISO 1600 I guess. Also, I was in manual, so I guess I screwed up and not the camera. BTW it was a candid street shot, so I couldn't possibly have asked the person to take a step back :lmao:

I wouldn't mind seeing what you can do with the colors.

Street photography at night is really tricky. It's all about timing. Well, plus luck. You have to be lucky enough to be there with your camera when something interesting is happening with enough lighting to get what you want.

In some ways, it requires the same skill as taking good wildlife photos. You need to patient, you need to have your camera ready when something happens, and you have to take a sh$t ton of pictures :)

A sh$t ton you say? okay! :biglaugh:
Thanks Leonore, I'll give it a try and see what I can get. :)

I think it falls short. I don't have a clear sense of what I'm looking at or why. The orange white... it feels like more of an error in white balance than something done intentionally to give a mood.
Hmm.. Thanks manaheim, I guess it's not as interesting as I might have thought initially :lol:

Most reactions

Back