freedom is not free

JonMikal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
my wife's relatives from Korea visited the U.S. for the first time this summer. i took a few of them around town last night (wed) for a bit of sightseeing. with the aid of a family interpreter, i learned her uncle fought in the Korean War. he was shot and walks with a limp. he lost many friends and his wife lost 3 brothers. i thought the Korean War Memorial would be interesting for him. while walking thru, he never said a word and stared for what seemed like ages at all the scuptures, etc. when told what the words on this wall said he couldn't walk away....i can only assume he knew all too well that freedom certainly isn't free, especially during those painful years. i was so into what was going on that i forgot i had a camera. i snapped this just as his wife pulled him away.

51321403-O.jpg

That made me want to cry. Beautiful shot John. That shot says it all with a thousand words but with the story it says nothing.. You just stare at it, if you get what I meen.

I am happy to hear that you cherished the moment by forgetting you had the camera. I think that was the very right thing to do. And I am happy that you realised you did have the camera when the spell was resolving and the moment to take a - yet once more brilliant! - photo in the latest possible instant had come!

just remarkable, jon...the story is great..what a moment you got to experience..

both sides of the war...right there together.....no anger...just unbelieveable grief over the cost...

thanks jon.

I have tears .... your work is always emotional -- gut wrenching, usually (and I mean that in the most complimentary way).

I often take for granted freedom. He carries a leg wound that will never allow him to take anything for granted.

And I'm behind them. Sometimes your stories are just as powerful as the pictures you post Jon, and that's an awesome combination!

Raymond J Barlow said:
thanks for sharing your story and photo Jon, and best regards to your wife, and your wifes family, present and past. we are so fortunate.

thanks Raymond....and yes we are!

JOn, that is absolutely so very special....
so much emotion...
i don't have words that would describe what i really want to say..
you just do it very well...

Most reactions

Back