What's new

Freelensing fun

jowensphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Feb 28, 2011
Messages
2,983
Reaction score
906
Location
Northern Viriginia, US
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was able to sneak out to the mountains for a little bit on Sunday. I've been playing with freelensing a lot lately... here are a few shots from the day. Hopefully some panos to come later :)

$IMG_9287 copy.webp$IMG_9283 copy.webp$IMG_9295 copy.webp

I think the second is my favorite.
 
These look good, I like the pastel colours.

What did you achieve freelensing that you could not have done shooting normally? (Sorry, ignorant question.)
 
yeah, i dont really see the effect. I was expecting more like this. This is the only time I have done free lensing and I think I failed LOL.

546650_3872953507049_1036658367_n.jpg


534776_3872953267043_156832979_n.jpg
 
These look good, I like the pastel colours.

What did you achieve freelensing that you could not have done shooting normally? (Sorry, ignorant question.)

Thank you, the colors are also my favorite part. I didn't realize how much purple there would be, but it was a pleasant surprise. Unlike the landscapes I posted earlier, I did nothing to the colors in post. Only a slight exposure adjustment to accentuate the haze already captured in camera.

Light leaks! Extra shallow depth of field, something I'm limited to at the moment (fastest lens is 50 1.8). I think the last one may actually be a combo of freelens/reverse macro... again, my only "macro" lens is garbage in low light. It helps me achieve effects that my current set up doesn't traditionally allow for.

I had several of some acorns that piqued my interest while up in the mountain, but they were all blurry or blown out completely. I like the challenge involved with getting the focus just right when freelensing. No two photos are ever exactly the same since it's impossible not to breath or twitch at some point while shooting. Burst mode helps a lot.
 
yeah, i dont really see the effect. I was expecting more like this. This is the only time I have done free lensing and I think I failed LOL.

546650_3872953507049_1036658367_n.jpg

LOL try shooting in burst mode, more likely to catch something in focus.

Can I ask what lens you used on that, Robin? I have tried using a longer focal length, but can't figure out how close/far away to be from the subject. The 50 1.8 leaves me about 3" max away from what I am shooting. ETA: when open wide, at least. I did figure out how to lock the aperture before removing the lens (on a Canon, hold down DOF preview while removing the lens).
 
I had no clue what this was....so I used the google machine.

It seemed like the coolest affect I saw was a tilt/shift kind of thing. There was an example where this girl had a dress with bangles on it. They were totally oof but her face was sharp. Was really cool.
 
Light leaks! Extra shallow depth of field, something I'm limited to at the moment (fastest lens is 50 1.8).
Ah, light leaks, I hadn't thought of that. But... at f/1.8 I wouldn't say you're "limited" – you're at paper-thin level, and f/1.4 would put you at razor-thin. Not much of a difference if you ask me, plus shooting at f/1.4 can be a pain.

I had several of some acorns that piqued my interest while up in the mountain...
You did this in a dusty environment? How's your sensor doing?
 
I know exactly which picture you are talking about!
 
Light leaks! Extra shallow depth of field, something I'm limited to at the moment (fastest lens is 50 1.8).
Ah, light leaks, I hadn't thought of that. But... at f/1.8 I wouldn't say you're "limited" – you're at paper-thin level, and f/1.4 would put you at razor-thin. Not much of a difference if you ask me, plus shooting at f/1.4 can be a pain.

I had several of some acorns that piqued my interest while up in the mountain...
You did this in a dusty environment? How's your sensor doing?

It is a pain! I guess I'm a masochist lol There is another thread I have on here of a purple flower, with just the anther in focus. I would not have been able to achieve that focus with my current gear.

Funny you should mention the environment, I saw some people watching me, assuming trying to figure out what I was doing and answered in my head, "It's a great way to break your camera!" Sensor is nice and clean, it really wasn't too bad since we've had a good bit of rain. My sunglasses fared far worse than my camera... glad I stepped on them rather than a lens though :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom