Frustration with HDR - help please

FreshBasil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So it's my first time with HDR, and I'm getting frustrated. These images seem like they are never print quality - and im shooting in 12MP RAW. Would they print blurry, or am I just panicking? I mean printing at least 16x20 for framing and hanging. Here are the ones that I think came out best. My smugmug has one or two others.

636654528_VqsDf-XL.jpg

636675315_jHuq4-XL.jpg

636708766_DeErr-XL.jpg

Last edited:
colours are way too saturated in the first. You have an odd surreal look going with the image, which is a mix of interesting and nauseating

The third is your best attempt me thinks. The horizon is slanted

1 - tone mapping is a bit much

2 - HDR does not work for me on this type of image

3 - horizon is slanted, blurry, or out of focus - but your tone mapping is much better.

Are you using a tripod and AEB?

Another possibility for the softness: Are you using a fixed aperature for each shot (using only shutter speed to change the ev)?

Second one isn't too bad, but isn't straight. You should fix that.

Aside from being angled, it's really how you feel about it. It's a feel... if that's not the feel you intended, then what did you intend?

The first one seems WAY off. So I guess... 1. What were you intending, and 2. What was your process?

did you use multiple exposures, or just one? and does the ferris wheel in the first one have a ghosting effect to it?

Thanks for these replies. They both were taken using three different stops with a fixed aperture. I had to hold by hand and the light wasn't enough it seemed. Someone mentioning using a fixed aperture... I went to aperture priority mode thinking that would make the most sense for a 3-shot attempt... is that incorrect?

Most reactions

Back