Flavio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone!

I just became a father for the 2nd time today and I was thinking in investing on a macro lens to get those sweet details of the baby. But I've found out that I could just get a extension tube for the same purpose.

Have anyone out there used one or have any info about these extension tubes for fuji x system?

Or is my 35mm 1.4 enough?

Thanks in advance!

Congratulations!

I don't think you really need a macro lens for baby photos - unless you're really after just the nose or eye or tooth to fill the entire frame. Otherwise a nice 35mm would suit and perhaps a 50mm or 85 mm so you can be a little further away esp when outside etc..

Macro is very very close up so might be too close for your desires and needs.

That said a macro lens is often going to give you a more suitable working distance (distance from the front of the lens to the subject - not to be confused with minimum focusing distance which is the distance from the camera film/sensor to the subject); which can be of great help for lighting and generally taking photos. The extension tubes will give you good macro magnifications, but will lose you BOTH infinity focus and reduce your minimum focusing distances - this means you can't easily flip from close up to far off (most macro lenses work as normal lenses too).

Macro tubes are a good cheap way to get close up shots but come with effort and a limited amount of focus, infinity focus is not an option, probably only able to focus up to a few feet from the camera.

If you buy a macro lens of suitable length, they can generally function as a great portrait lens also

The Fuji 60mm macro is my favorite lens. It's hunts a bit in low light but otherwise it's creates beautiful images and really easy to isolate subjects from background. I don't use it much for portraits since I don't really shoot those but I'll see if I have any examples. I use it sometimes with extension tubes to get super macro on flowers. Check out the Fuji 60mm macro group on Flickr for lots of examples including portraits.

One of my favs with the 60mm at f/4 If my memory is correct I took this in the car so not the best light...

Extension tubes work best with lenses of 50mm or longer. 35mm, 28mm and shorter lenses are very poor with typical normal extension tubes. For short lenses, you need exceptionally short tubes which are incredibly difficult to find in any mount, except Nikon, in the K-1 through K5 series of short extension tubes designed specifically for short focal length lenses. If you have a longer lens, like a 50mm or longer, then you'll be OK with a 10mm to 13 mm extension tube.

We have had this subject come up just recently; with a 24mm prime lens, the OP in another post was unable to achieve focus with a normal-length extension tube. I've experienced this behavior for decades, being unable to achieve focus with short-focal length lenses and a standard extension tube in the 10 to 13mm length range. When extension is added to a short lens that already focuses pretty close,as short lenses tend to do, the focus point actually moves to inside the lens...a strange physics trick if ever there was one.

However...with focal lengths from 50mm to 300mm, extension tubes are _very_ handy!

Last edited:
How close can you get with your current lens?
Putting a big camera at macro distance close to the baby could scare him :eek:
I would rather use a longer lens of 50mm or more, on your APS-C camera, to get more distance from the baby.

MCEX16 works surprisingly well on the long end of a 18-55. I suppose there are cheaper brands out the that would do the same thing. The MCEX16 has the electrical contacts so it is more money. On the kit lens, it provides a little better focus distance from subject.

I don't know what glass you have but you can always crop, and use the money saved to buy diapers. Congrats

Extension tubes work best with lenses of 50mm or longer. 35mm, 28mm and shorter lenses are very poor with typical normal extension tubes. For short lenses, you need exceptionally short tubes which are incredibly difficult to find in any mount, except Nikon, in the K-1 through K5 series of short extension tubes designed specifically for short focal length lenses. If you have a longer lens, like a 50mm or longer, then you'll be OK with a 10mm to 13 mm extension tube.

We have had this subject come up just recently; with a 24mm prime lens, the OP in another post was unable to achieve focus with a normal-length extension tube. I've experienced this behavior for decades, being unable to achieve focus with short-focal length lenses and a standard extension tube in the 10 to 13mm length range. When extension is added to a short lens that already focuses pretty close,as short lenses tend to do, the focus point actually moves to inside the lens...a strange physics trick if ever there was one.

However...with focal lengths from 50mm to 300mm, extension tubes are _very_ handy!
Hi Derrel, thanks a lot for the help.
I have a fuji 35mm f1.4, so I guess the tube is not a good option.
Someone else told me that this 35mm is more than enough to get close up photos of the feet, hands, etc of the baby.
Maibe I should invest in a 50mm and the tube? I'm still a little lost :p

I don't think you really need a macro lens for baby photos - unless you're really after just the nose or eye or tooth to fill the entire frame. Otherwise a nice 35mm would suit and perhaps a 50mm or 85 mm so you can be a little further away esp when outside etc..

Macro is very very close up so might be too close for your desires and needs.

That said a macro lens is often going to give you a more suitable working distance (distance from the front of the lens to the subject - not to be confused with minimum focusing distance which is the distance from the camera film/sensor to the subject); which can be of great help for lighting and generally taking photos. The extension tubes will give you good macro magnifications, but will lose you BOTH infinity focus and reduce your minimum focusing distances - this means you can't easily flip from close up to far off (most macro lenses work as normal lenses too).
Hi Overread!
Thanks for the reply, helped a lot!
I think I'll go for a 50mm. It's always a good focal lenght for various purposes, so I guess is o good investment :)

Macro tubes are a good cheap way to get close up shots but come with effort and a limited amount of focus, infinity focus is not an option, probably only able to focus up to a few feet from the camera.

If you buy a macro lens of suitable length, they can generally function as a great portrait lens also
Hi Jaomul,

I'm thinking of getting the 50mm f2 or the 60mm f2.4 macro, but I'm not sure...

Thanks a lot for the help!

Hi Derrel, thanks a lot for the help.
I have a fuji 35mm f1.4, so I guess the tube is not a good option.
Someone else told me that this 35mm is more than enough to get close up photos of the feet, hands, etc of the baby.
Maibe I should invest in a 50mm and the tube? I'm still a little lost :p
Yes it is. One of my favorite lenses. It allows you do get close. Minimum focus distance on that lens is 11". At 11", wide open, the depth of field is thin so you may have to stop it down a little. It's a stellar lens for sure.

MCEX16 works surprisingly well on the long end of a 18-55. I suppose there are cheaper brands out the that would do the same thing. The MCEX16 has the electrical contacts so it is more money. On the kit lens, it provides a little better focus distance from subject.

I don't know what glass you have but you can always crop, and use the money saved to buy diapers. Congrats
Hi jcdeboever,

I have the 18-55 2.8 kit lens and the 35mm f1.4.
And yes, I should have the diapers in consideration for the final decision :p

Thanks a lot for the help! ;-)

Hi jcdeboever,

I have the 18-55 2.8 kit lens and the 35mm f1.4.
And yes, I should have the diapers in consideration for the final decision :p

Thanks a lot for the help! ;-)
Nothing wrong with the 18-55 either. It has real good image stabilization enabling you to shoot at slower shutter speeds, another stellar lens. I recently sold off a lot of my glass but I kept those two for specific reasons. The 35 for its micro contrast, low light capability. The 18-55 and the MCEX16 for close up stuff.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back