Fuji XT-1

Thanks D, you seem as interested as I am. Who knows maybe I've been bit by the marketing bug with this.

My D3 is too big n bulky to cary around, bring to weddings, family day trips. I'm looking for something a little better than a PnS.

Ideally Id love to buy an M9 but that won't happen until both kids are out of day care. So I'm looking for a good lightweight product that has interchangeable lens, manual modes and can still perform well. Right now Fuji has it. So I'm looking at the XE-2 and the XT-1.

I won't use this camera for sports. I'd like an XE-2 with the 35 f1.4. Looks like a nice combination. Maybe maybe add something else a little longer reach down the road.

I saw a rumor about Nikon redesigning their "1" camera so who knows.

I have to make a trip to NYC and play with them.

Well, I myself have been VERY interested in a mirrorless camera. I read a bunch of reviews for the Sony A7 and A7R. I WATCHED, multiple times, the review that The Camera Store did on the SOny A7 and A7r--BEFORE the cameras were even SHIPPED to dealers, Chris at TCS did a widely-distributed review of the new SOny models. On TPF member cgw did a post about them new Sony offerings and asked if they would be "game changers". I said no. He thought otherwise.

I did more research on the A7 and A7r. After big-name testers, like Lloyd Chambers tested the A7r and found HORRIBLE shutter vibration at 1/2 to 1/100 second, due to the slam shutter closed/stop live view/open shutter/close shutter (yes-close/open/close shutter!!!!!); after users noted that the 28-70 kit zoom had an issue with the OS where the OSS system made the center sharp but the edges HORRIBLY blurred, and after the utter LACK of lenses...I went to PPS and demo'd the A7 myself.

What did I find out? Unlike what "Chris" of The Camera Store lead me to believe, the EVF image of the A7 with the Sony 28-70 is utter crap. It looks "video-ish", blue-ish, and like rubbish. Actually picking the camera up, and looking through it, I found its viewfinder was utter rubbish. HORRIBLE, like looking through a 1990's Sony 8mm camcorder. Oh, it'd be usable for LANDSCAPE snapping, where the subject doesn't move, and there's NO NEED to be able to actually SEE the expression on a person's face, or to literally SEE the image in-focus.

WHat is going on in today's web market is that web sites are trying to BE FIRST with rave reviews, so that THEY get the affiliate click-through buying credits, and make THEIR money off of early buyers. Luminous Landscape is now in the business of SELLING overpriced downloads ($12? $14? for a freaking interview???) and is now trying to cash in, big-time. The Camera Store, being in Canada, now can skirt around the USA's new web laws that FORCE sites based in the USA to disclose their affiliate links.

My point is that this is all relatively new--the LL used to be a trusted source..but I see that under Kevin's new managing of their business affairs, that the site is now headed in a different direction on some items. What REALLY drove this home for me was the Sony A7 and A7r HYPE MACHINE, the early reviews, The Camera Store fawning about the A7 and A7r, and now, I see that LL's reviewer is buddy-buddy with The Camera Store's "Chris"; the Chris behind the early,early HYPE about the Sony, and now this EARLY,early hype about the brand-new Fuji, has really raised my suspicions. I saw video, and was TOLD many things about the Sony A7 series by this same fellow, and then,after three weeks of release, the actual issues came to light. Bottom line? I no longer trust the Luminous Landscape, or their affiliates, or their new, commercially-driven, less-than-a-week-of-use, FAWNING reviews. I know how it works: be first to review, and make money on those who click-through and buy from your affiliates...

I no longer trust a site that USED to be run by one man, who now has a new business model, and new people who have hyped the crap out of what are essentially, two expensive, deeply flawed cameras. Brian, yes, you MUST actually handle the camera and see for yourself. From what I read, and saw on video, the new Sony A7/A7r were "amazing". What I held in my hands was NOT what I had been told by multiple early reviewers/salesmen, one of whom is associated with the above review of this brand-new Fuji. I'm tired of being mislead. This whole new "early-review/hype machine" trend is disillusioning to me.

Derrel has this exactly right. I recently bought an X-E2 and I love it. IQ is spectacular for a small APS class sensor camera. Fuji made huge improvements adding PDAF photosites to the sensor to improve the response of the auto focus BUT, all that said, a sports professional would find these cameras unusable. You'd have to be nuts to try and photograph sports with an EVF-finder camera and as improved as the auto focus is in the X-E2 and X-T1 these are not cameras for a sports pro to try and make a living with.

And P.S. Nikon wishes they could make a lens as good as the Fuji XF-14mm f/2.8.

These cameras are for someone like me who can take their time making a photograph. They have no place in an intense action environment.

Joe

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have read a lot of reviews online, I'm looking for forum members opinions. I appreciate the links but your personal experience is what I am interested in.

I have read a lot of reviews online, I'm looking for forum members opinions. I appreciate the links but your personal experience is what I am interested in.

And that is the problem, Brian: the Fuji XT-1 is so,so new, and has sold so,so few units that personal experience from "regular people" is going to be somewhat limited in availability. When any camera has been out less than a couple of months, the majority of the people who have access to it are typically those within the distribution and sales channels, or have business relationships with those who are in the business of selling merchandise.
The sooner those people can publish a web review, and get readers to click on their affiliate links, the sooner those people can begin to make money off of that new, hard-to-find camera.

I have the a Fujifilm X-Pro1 in my hand right at this moment, and I am having a lot of fun with it. It is impressing me which is quite hard to do.

And that is the problem, Brian: the Fuji XT-1 is so,so new, and has sold so,so few units that personal experience from "regular people" is going to be somewhat limited in availability. When any camera has been out less than a couple of months, the majority of the people who have access to it are typically those within the distribution and sales channels, or have business relationships with those who are in the business of selling merchandise.
The sooner those people can publish a web review, and get readers to click on their affiliate links, the sooner those people can begin to make money off of that new, hard-to-find camera.

I know, I just saw online that some orders were being shipped on Friday. I was hoping someone here would be getting one. Better chances at winning the lotto, I know.

OK, gang. I'm interested in this camera too, so I'm renting one. It will be here on Friday and I'll shoot with it over the weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out :)

Cheers,

Bill

P.S. and yes, I am compensated for affiliate links - but I value my reputation more than $40 for a camera. If it's cr*p, I will tell you so :)

Perfect this is what I'm looking for, thanks Bill.

OK, gang. I'm interested in this camera too, so I'm renting one. It will be here on Friday and I'll shoot with it over the weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out :)

Cheers,

Bill

P.S. and yes, I am compensated for affiliate links - but I value my reputation more than $40 for a camera. If it's cr*p, I will tell you so :)

Hey Bill if you could an in depth evaluation of the evf would be great, particularly in two key areas that most reviewers never cover. How does it perform in lowlight and how well does it work when firing a burst.

Thanks!

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

Hey Bill if you could an in depth evaluation of the evf would be great, particularly in two key areas that most reviewers never cover. How does it perform in lowlight and how well does it work when firing a burst.

Thanks!

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

Will do. That is something I am interested in too - and I will do my best to write down initial impressions in a post here, post sample pictures and answer questions from this group.

Cheers,

Bill

I have the a Fujifilm X-Pro1 in my hand right at this moment, and I am having a lot of fun with it. It is impressing me which is quite hard to do.

whats available for telephoto for one of them?
And that's only 16 mp right? How do you guys feel about going from 20+ mp back to 16?
I just started reading on it, and it seems like a nice camera other than the mp im kind of wondering about? Other thing is the colors. I just caught on that the colors aren't quite as good as the Nikon dslrs so it might not be so great in that way?

But its made of metal and real quality? That peeks my interest. if it doubles for a hammer it must be good.

hey is it weather proof? I didn't catch that in the review

And that's only 16 mp right? How do you guys feel about going from 20+ mp back to 16?
I just started reading on it, and it seems like a nice camera other than the mp im kind of wondering about? Other thing is the colors. I just caught on that the colors aren't quite as good as the Nikon dslrs so it might not be so great in that way?

But its made of metal and real quality? That peeks my interest. if it doubles for a hammer it must be good.

Here's Fuji's roadmap for XF lenses: X Mount Lens Roadmap | Fujifilm Global One nice thing about dropping the reflex mirror is that the sensor/flange distance is reduced and it's easy to use an adapter and mount nearly any lens you want to the camera. You of course lose the AF linkage so it's manual focus only. I picked up an adapter for $30.00 and mounted my 60mm Rodagon enlarging lens on the camera to use as a macro.

It's 16 megapixels but it's a Fuji X-Trans sensor. I swapped a 5DmkII for an X-E2 and so that was a 21 megapixel down to 16 megapixel trade. Given the superior performance of the X-Trans sensor (no AA filter to degrade the image) basically I find the IQ is a wash. Given Fuji's superior optics I may have actually come out ahead by a smidge.

As for color not being as good as Nikon: where'd you hear that? That's rubbish.

Joe

There are rumors of going full frame eventually. It may have a rangefinder look but it's not a rangefinder.
I'm just interested to hear what others say about this evf.

Here's Fuji's roadmap for XF lenses: X Mount Lens Roadmap | Fujifilm Global One nice thing about dropping the reflex mirror is that the sensor/flange distance is reduced and it's easy to use an adapter and mount nearly any lens you want to the camera. You of course lose the AF linkage so it's manual focus only. I picked up an adapter for $30.00 and mounted my 60mm Rodagon enlarging lens on the camera to use as a macro.

It's 16 megapixels but it's a Fuji X-Trans sensor. I swapped a 5DmkII for an X-E2 and so that was a 21 megapixel down to 16 megapixel trade. Given the superior performance of the X-Trans sensor (no AA filter to degrade the image) basically I find the IQ is a wash. Given Fuji's superior optics I may have actually come out ahead by a smidge.

As for color not being as good as Nikon: where'd you hear that? That's rubbish.

Joe
"Like the M9, the X-Pro1's files will usually need some computer tweaking for stunning results for nature and landscape shots. Oddly, both the LEICA and FUJI usually wind up with weird-looking shadows when you start jacking up the contrast and colors, while Nikon and Canon DSLRs deliver superior nature and landscape shots. Nikon and Canon's nature and landscape shots offer wild colors that still look natural, while pushing the Fujis and LEICAs start to look artificial"

Fuji X-Pro1 Review

curious to know how the lower mp compares in tests too. love the looks of this camera. Compared to 24 mp and no bp filter, guess I have mp and cropping doubts..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back