Fujifilm Finepix S5100

etnad0

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These were done several months ago on the Fujifilm Finepix S5100. For those that don't know it's something like a hybrid DSLR/point and shoot with no manual controls.

5654026770_476f4ceb18.jpg

5653451483_6d77530cc3.jpg

6475762719_f4bff59318.jpg

What is she doing to that log?

I noticed when taking photos of darker skin tones, it best to edit them in B&W or even some sort of Vintage tone. It's easy to get carried away with the contrast which will result in too orangey skin tones (#2). Number 2 is best, aside from the orange face.

I noticed when taking photos of darker skin tones, it best to edit them in B&W or even some sort of Vintage tone. It's easy to get carried away with the contrast which will result in too orangey skin tones (#2). Number 2 is best, aside from the orange face.

Thank you for the info. The one draw back to the camera is that you can't adjust shutter speed or white balance. I say that because I couldn't find it, but maybe someone can and I had that camera for about 3 years as my learning camera. I could change ISO and apeture though.

Thanks for the critique. I wasn't very good at editing then, just learning the ropes. At the time, I thought being good with graphics on photoshop was enough, but editing pics is a lot different. I've since learned a lot. Let me also add that another mistake that contributed to the orange skin was using an 81B filter. There was a 3rd pic there that I can't see now. Not sure if anyone else can see it, but it won't let me add it again.

Last edited:
Have you read the manual ? because it does have manual control everything can be adjusted iso,shutter speed, aperture just like an dslr

You've also got some motion blur going on in the second and third picture.

Im wondering what made you think that this model, that outfit and a woodland setting was a good mix?

Have you read the manual ? because it does have manual control everything can be adjusted iso,shutter speed, aperture just like an dslr

It was actually a hand me down. At the time I wasn't financially in a position to buy anything but disposables. So I practiced with those. When I got the Fuji, there was no manual with it and it was a gift from my mom that had bought another camera, so everything I learned was by reading online. It never once occurred to me to download the manual from the site. To be honest, I probably wouldn't have read it anyway. I got my T2i on the 1st and still haven't read the manual. I've been learning it all through trial and error, but being familiar with the Fuji helps. YouTube tutorials have been great as well. I love to read, just hate reading manuals for some reason.

Im wondering what made you think that this model, that outfit and a woodland setting was a good mix?

Actually, we shot lots of different pics of her and another girl. She's not an actual model. There were 6 of us. 4 guys and 2 girls, all hobby photographers. We were at Mt. Charleston to take pics and we thought it might be fun to do a spur of the moment photo shoot so they did. She always has extra clothes in her car because of her job so she changed a few times. I thought it came out pretty good for something very unplanned.

The first photo makes me think of the Caribbean - maybe Jamaica. I think the model, the outfit and the woodland setting reflect that culture. I like that photo best despite the many distractions in the foreground/background. I like the second photo as well except that the background is overexposed on top and it needs less DOF. The model is attractive but I would try to correct some of the uneven skin tones on her face in the third photo. That one really doesn't do it for me.

The first photo makes me think of the Caribbean - maybe Jamaica. I think the model, the outfit and the woodland setting reflect that culture. I like that photo best despite the many distractions in the foreground/background. I like the second photo as well except that the background is overexposed on top and it needs less DOF. The model is attractive but I would try to correct some of the uneven skin tones on her face in the third photo. That one really doesn't do it for me.

Thanks for the input. On the 3rd pic it's raw (not RAW) with no editing done to it. I like it and wanted to see what everyone else thought. I appreciate the feedback.

Actually, we shot lots of different pics of her and another girl. She's not an actual model. There were 6 of us. 4 guys and 2 girls, all hobby photographers. We were at Mt. Charleston to take pics and we thought it might be fun to do a spur of the moment photo shoot so they did. She always has extra clothes in her car because of her job so she changed a few times. I thought it came out pretty good for something very unplanned.

Her look says city but your location is country. Spur of the moment or not the two just dont mesh for me here.

Her look says city but your location is country. Spur of the moment or not the two just dont mesh for me here.

She's a super city girl lol. You may be right, but I needed the practice before even thinking about upgrading my camera. I actually learned a lot that day because of the lighting, trees, and snow on the ground. Unfortunately I couldn't get any macro done that day, but I plan to soon. Between now and February, I'm mostly going to focus on DOF.

I'm curious to know what people think about the framing of the pics? If anyone has any input on the framing, I'd appreciate it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back