Fujifilm XT3 released

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Available in two weeks. BSI sensor, no evf black out, 30fps, microprism peaking highlights, 400 + point AF points @100% sensor coverage, performance mode without the use of V grip, dual UHS card slots, -3 SNR, less than a new XT2 when it came out, locking diop, enhanced face and eye recognition, and more. Going to be a low light monster. I'm not going to get one at this point but it is tempting for such an upgrade. The micro prism peaking has me wanting it since I manual focus a lot. Still no 5:4 aspect ratio? I wonder why they don't do this?
FUJIFILM X-T3 | Specifications | X Series | Digital Cameras | Fujifilm USA

Last edited:
Available in two weeks. BSI sensor, no evf black out, 30fps, microprism peaking highlights, 400 + point AF points @100% sensor coverage, performance mode without the use of V grip, dual UHS card slots, -3 SNR, less than a new XT2 when it came out, locking diop, enhanced face and eye recognition, and more. Going to be a low light monster. I'm not going to get one at this point but it is tempting for such an upgrade. The micro prism peaking has me wanting it since I manual focus a lot. Still no 5:4 aspect ratio? I wonder why they don't do this?
FUJIFILM X-T3 | Specifications | X Series | Digital Cameras | Fujifilm USA

"Going to be a low light monster" - explain please to your friends who don't know anything about specs. Feel free to dumb it down! thanks.

In general, the higher the ISO the lower the IQ. In particular the IQ has greater noise, less colors and more contrast. As cameras get better, this line of IQ 'acceptability' gets higher. My first dSLR was a Canon 20D. At ISO 1600, the images about equal and often worse than Tri-X at 1600 ASA.

IMG_5591-X2.jpg

20D ISO 1600
Mats%20vs.%20Norwalk%20-%2010.jpg

Red-Chinese-Basketball-Team-L.jpg

Tri-X @ 1600 ASA
Mr.-Universe---HP-L.jpg

As digital cameras improve, low light capability also improves. There is a lot to improving low light capability. Sensor size and pixel size significantly contribute along with firmware refinement.

Again, in general, the highest ISO available on a camera generally has unacceptable IQ, but the next stop lower is useable. The XT3 has an extended ISO of 51,200 which most likely is unusable, but that means that ISO 25,600 may be useable.

A low light monster translates that in extreme low light the photog can jack up the ISO and still capture useable, good quality images. This is especially useful for night time sports where a high shutter speed is required to stop action.

_DSF8580.jpg

XT1 @ 1600 ISO
_GA17698-X2.jpg

_GA11019.jpg

XT1 @ 3200 ISO

DSCF8882-X2.jpg

XT2 @ 1600 ISO

DSCF0572-X2.jpg

XT2 @ 3200 ISO

Thanks @Gary A. , I thought she was being facetious. If not, you covered it. The back side illuminated sensor should rival that on the D500 in terms of low light performance, which is currently king of crop sensors. Will be interesting to see how it compares, probably will surpass it.

A low light monster translates that in extreme low light the photog can jack up the ISO and still capture useable, good quality images. This is especially useful for night time sports where a high shutter speed is required to stop action.

Yes, I did understand what he meant by low light monster but, my question (very poorly worded I guess since neither of you got my meaning...) is what is it about the specs of the XT3 that will make it a low light monster - in comparison to the XT2 or others, or just on it's own?

Thanks @Gary A. , I thought she was being facetious. If not, you covered it. The back side illuminated sensor should rival that on the D500 in terms of low light performance, which is currently king of crop sensors. Will be interesting to see how it compares, probably will surpass it.

It was a sincere question - if I was being facetious I would have added a winky or some other sarcasm/joking indicator :) . I think you answered my question in part - but since I have no idea of the significance of a back side illuminated sensor, I still don't really "get it".

The XT3 has an extended ISO of 51,200 which most likely is unusable, but that means that ISO 25,600 may be useable.

Aha!

So... does this mean that the XT1 and XT2 will come down in price for me to try them out with GIG and GAS? :p

Just got a look at the photos in the other thread. They didn't add a lock to that Exposure Compensation dial. I tend to hit that when shooting and it moves on me. Wish they would add the press lock like with the shutter speed and ISO dials. That is my only complaint about the ergonomics on my XT2.

2 card slots! phew I bet @Derrel will be relieved! haha

Just got a look at the photos in the other thread. They didn't add a lock to that Exposure Compensation dial. I tend to hit that when shooting and it moves on me. Wish they would add the press lock like with the shutter speed and ISO dials. That is my only complaint about the ergonomics on my XT2.

I had that problem, with time you'll sorta teach your index finger not to hit it and at the same you'll teach your eyes to periodically check the dial. A lock would solve the problem. For me, as I shoot in manual and EC isn't needed or used, a cap would suffice.

I had that problem, with time you'll sorta teach your index finger not to hit it and at the same you'll teach your eyes to periodically check the dial. A lock would solve the problem. For me, as I shoot in manual and EC isn't needed or used, a cap would suffice.

I use Auto ISO quite a bit so the EC button can cause issues for me.

One crazy note is that this is listed at $1,500, which seems low, no?

I use Auto ISO quite a bit so the EC button can cause issues for me.
I use a Thumb Grip on the XP2. They also make them for the XT2.

81JSdOCmZBL._SL1500_.jpg

Most reactions

Back