Future Fish Killers

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
You should be shooting for NG. Your work is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always thought it was odd how the juveniles and adults have differing eye colorations. Back in the mid-1980's I was lounging around a nice riverside park on Oregon's McKenzie River with my then girlfriend, you know, blanket + bikini + girlfriend kinda stuff, when we heard a big splash! sound. Looked up, and there upriver was an osprey, flapping up off the river's surface with a gorgeous trout in its talons! A while later, same thing, repeat! The McKenzie has exceptionally clear,clear water for a PNW river...what LOOKED like it might have been ankle deep was actually about waist-deep on a man on the far side, and thigh deep mid-river. I came back the next week with a fishing rod, and this big, shallow-looking, barren-looking "flat" as we call them, held TONS of trout! I caught and released about 40 trout there on most days using normally a size 12 caddis emerger pattern or a similar fly. It was after this that I learned to love osprey. One of the best fishing spots I ever found was shown to me by an osprey. The thing was, most fishermen would pass this spot up as being "unproductive". Drift boat fly fishermen would row right on through. Bank anglers would keep heading upstream past it. The spot looked like crap. But the osprey knew otherwise!

IMHO, Grass and Leaves and other objects around the subject are sometimes a good thing. When I look at photos of critters I am interested in the environment the photographer found them in as well as the critter itself. Especially if it is a creature I am unfamiliar with or do not have access to photograph myself. I think these are great, with as much merit as any of your work.

Beautiful shots as always Kris :thumbup:

Another incredible set of photos!!!

You should be shooting for NG. Your work is amazing.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your too kind! Thank you

I always thought it was odd how the juveniles and adults have differing eye colorations. Back in the mid-1980's I was lounging around a nice riverside park on Oregon's McKenzie River with my then girlfriend, you know, blanket + bikini + girlfriend kinda stuff, when we heard a big splash! sound. Looked up, and there upriver was an osprey, flapping up off the river's surface with a gorgeous trout in its talons! A while later, same thing, repeat! The McKenzie has exceptionally clear,clear water for a PNW river...what LOOKED like it might have been ankle deep was actually about waist-deep on a man on the far side, and thigh deep mid-river. I came back the next week with a fishing rod, and this big, shallow-looking, barren-looking "flat" as we call them, held TONS of trout! I caught and released about 40 trout there on most days using normally a size 12 caddis emerger pattern or a similar fly. It was after this that I learned to love osprey. One of the best fishing spots I ever found was shown to me by an osprey. The thing was, most fishermen would pass this spot up as being "unproductive". Drift boat fly fishermen would row right on through. Bank anglers would keep heading upstream past it. The spot looked like crap. But the osprey knew otherwise!
I actually have used my fishing knowledge to help in my Osprey photography. It's often how I know based on tide and wind direction. As "storm" says, think like a fish... :) I've seen fisherman ignore Osprey all the time even when I see baitfish breaking underneath them.. lol

IMHO, Grass and Leaves and other objects around the subject are sometimes a good thing. When I look at photos of critters I am interested in the environment the photographer found them in as well as the critter itself. Especially if it is a creature I am unfamiliar with or do not have access to photograph myself. I think these are great, with as much merit as any of your work.
It is sort of cool, but I wish the Osprey wasn't hiding directly behind the grass, lol
Beautiful shots as always Kris :thumbup:
Thank you sir! It's not too late for you and snowy to head down!
Another incredible set of photos!!!
Thank you!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back