Future plans?

banderson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, right now I am in college part time with an integrated media arts major with a focus in digital photography. I work for a call center for a large electronics company, where I am on deck to become a supervisor. I plan to continue my degree while working full time there. I would love to open a studio, and plan to keep working where I am and eventually wanting to do portraits etc on the weekends until I feel I am ready to work my way into a studio. I guess ive just been wondering whether this is a reasonable route to go about things. Any tips from anyone out there that has their own business? Does my plan make sense?? May seem like a silly question- I just like to poll people to see what they think.

Tough row to hoe, particularly the transition from being a full time employee to running your own business. Save every nickle you can between now and then.
When you go out on your own you will have to handle income, use, and sales taxes, accounting, salesmanship, marketing, promotion, customer service, advertising, plus keeping the floors clean and the toilets scrubbed.

There is no doubt it can be done, but in all honesty most who make the attempt fail, because they lack the business skills needed to run a business.

How will you acquire the business management skills that are needed to run a studio?

You can get free help here:

Starting & Managing a Business | SBA.gov

Free Small Business Advice | How-to Resources | Tools | Templates | SCORE

Last edited:
The biggest thing I would suggest is to really hone your business skills. When I first started I thought knowing my camera and being able to create images clients adore were the most important aspects. I was so wrong. The single most important thing you can possess in your journey to having your own business is business skills. The first year I shot myself in the foot so many times because I loved that people loved my work. I negotiated on pricing, discounted for those who couldn't afford it, and seriously underpriced myself. I lost a good part of my initial client base when I jumped to a sustainable price range, but over time they were replaced with clients that didn't flinch when they saw my pricing. I learned that it doesn't matter how much people love your work, or even how much you love what you do, burnout comes quickly when you realize you are barely breaking even each month.

If I were starting over I would set my prices where I wanted them to be in a year and offer discounts until I felt ready to charge the full price, so people weren't shocked when it was the standard. I would remember that things come in steps and you can't rush it. Gimmicks are great for getting people in the door, but a strong client base is built on word of mouth and patience combined with an excellent product. It is okay to say no to things that aren't what you want to do, or what you are equipped to do (I still remember photographing a dog and wondering how in the world I got into that one!) and to focus on being amazing in one area instead of good at many.

KmH said:
Tough row to hoe, particularly the transition from being a full time employee to running your own business. Save every nickle you can between now and then.
When you go out on your own you will have to handle income, use, and sales taxes, accounting, salesmanship, marketing, promotion, customer service, advertising, plus keeping the floors clean and the toilets scrubbed.

There is no doubt it can be done, but in all honesty most who make the attempt fail, because they lack the business skills needed to run a business.

How will you acquire the business management skills that are needed to run a studio?

Well, my degree has quite a few business courses. And I plan to take as many elective business courses as well. I think I would like to eventually get into doing shoots for pay on the weekends and kind of work my way into it. Another positive is that my dad is an accountant, and also does all of the finances for a commercial space leasing company he and his friend run. He does the finances and his friend is the investor. So I can always et advice from him as well as ask him for help on occasion if need be. Plus I could get a good price on some commercial space:D all of you guys on here have some great advice.

j28 said:
The biggest thing I would suggest is to really hone your business skills. When I first started I thought knowing my camera and being able to create images clients adore were the most important aspects. I was so wrong. The single most important thing you can possess in your journey to having your own business is business skills. The first year I shot myself in the foot so many times because I loved that people loved my work. I negotiated on pricing, discounted for those who couldn't afford it, and seriously underpriced myself. I lost a good part of my initial client base when I jumped to a sustainable price range, but over time they were replaced with clients that didn't flinch when they saw my pricing. I learned that it doesn't matter how much people love your work, or even how much you love what you do, burnout comes quickly when you realize you are barely breaking even each month.

If I were starting over I would set my prices where I wanted them to be in a year and offer discounts until I felt ready to charge the full price, so people weren't shocked when it was the standard. I would remember that things come in steps and you can't rush it. Gimmicks are great for getting people in the door, but a strong client base is built on word of mouth and patience combined with an excellent product. It is okay to say no to things that aren't what you want to do, or what you are equipped to do (I still remember photographing a dog and wondering how in the world I got into that one!) and to focus on being amazing in one area instead of good at many.

Those are some great tips :) I always get my head in the clouds and really need to be brought back to earth on occasion! Lol

Getting your head up in the clouds is OK, as long as your feet stay firmly planted on the ground at the same time.

Doing photography for pay, part-time or full time, requires essentially the same business skills. The only difference is, doing it part-time means less total revenue.

Full-time studio photographers can't shoot 5 days a week. Three days a week is more like it. More time is spent doing business tasks, than doing photography tasks and when you do go full time doing studio photography, plan on 6 day weeks being routine.

Last edited:
KmH said:
Getting your head up in the clouds is OK, as long as your feet stay firmly planted on the ground at the same time.

Doing photography for pay, part-time or full time, requires essentially the same business skills. The only difference is, doing it part-time means less total revenue.

Full-time studio photographers can't shoot 5 days a week. Three days a week is more like it. More time is spent doing business tasks, than doing photography tasks and when you do go full time doing studio photography, plan on 6 day weeks being routine.

Yeah, sometimes I just need to re evaluate, and realize my goals are too lofty lol

Anyways- I don't mind working 6 day weeks, I already do that for the most part. I would work 7day weeks if it means I have my own studio.

I know that it takes the same business sense to do photography part time, but I figure- if I fail, I'll still have my normal job. so at least if I crash, I won't burn lol

Lofty goals are great, especially if you create a realistic business plan to make them happen. I am definitely a dreamer, and hope that I never lose that. I have goals that are just shy of impossible to achieve, but I always want to be moving toward something, if that makes sense. I never want to feel complacent to stay at the level I am.
Having income to fall back on, as well as people familiar with the business aspect to help will be a great asset to you as you go forward.

I agree with KmH about timing. Photography is my sole income, but I spend easily three to five times as much time out of the studio as I do actually shooting. The shooting is the easy part. I usually have two shooting days, two in studio ordering days with clients, and two days of editing/ordering/prepping orders for pick up. One day a week is family time and the phone and computer stay turned off all day.

I know, I'm a dreamer too.. Sometimes I get a little ahead of myself- but I just need a reality check now and then lol

I also figure I could use a lot of my lab time at school for PP as well.

I know it will be by no means easy, but I really appreciate the advice!

The general plan seems fine to me - though you might be overworking yourself. Don't underestimate the power of having a sustainable pace, it works better than burning yourself out. One thing I have learned while setting up FrozenEvent is that while theory, and academic learning about how to run a business is important, nothing comes close to real life first hand experience.

Last edited:
The general plan seems fine to me - though you might be overworking yourself. Don't underestimate the power of having a sustainable pace, it works better than burning yourself out. One thing I have learned while setting up FrozenEvent is that while theory, and academic learning about how to run a business is important, nothing comes close to real life first hand experience.

I know what you mean. But, I genuinely love to shoot and edit and plan (Etc). And is what I choose to do in my free time any ways. Once I feel that I'm ready to start charging I don't feel like this will change. As far as classes go- I know exactly what you mean! This seems to be the case with pretty much any class, and I have some experience on my side with my dad running a business and all.

focus on your goal,and just stick to it,then you would make it!!!!!

KmH said:

Well, my degree has quite a few business courses. And I plan to take as many elective business courses as well. I think I would like to eventually get into doing shoots for pay on the weekends and kind of work my way into it. Another positive is that my dad is an accountant, and also does all of the finances for a commercial space leasing company he and his friend run. He does the finances and his friend is the investor. So I can always et advice from him as well as ask him for help on occasion if need be. Plus I could get a good price on some commercial space:D all of you guys on here have some great advice.

Take an entrepreneurship class if you college offers one and make friends with some business major. A good team is better to have then a good idea.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back