FX Lens Recommendtions

s_marolf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been busy the last few weeks and got a 70-200mm Nikor VR1 lens and today I got a D610 both from Craigslist. I've just done some quick shots in the backyard and am excited about the new setup.

The problem I have is the 70-200mm is my only FF lens. I'd like a prime lens and am wondering if there's a good 35mm or 50mm lens either f/1.8 or better f/1.4 people could recommend. Most of my budget went to the recent upgrades so ideally something under $150. I'm fine with a used older lens or something refurbished.

I had the 35mm f/1.8 for my D5100 which was the lens imused the most, so something similar would be great. If there's a wide zoom that covers the range I may be open as well I'm just worried it wouldn't fit my remaining budget.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Take a gander at some of the 'old' AF and AF-D lenses. You can pick up a Dirty Thirty5 or Nifty Fifty for well under your budget. The 50/1.8 AF-D is, to me, indistinguishable from the G lens.

I wouldn't bother with a 1.4 lens until you really find a constant need for it.

The nikon 50mm f/1.8D can be bought all day long for under your budget amount. It's pretty much legendary for being a stellar lens.

PS- if you don't mind cropping a bit, the 35mm DX lens should work on your FX camera.

Anyone tried this? I do it all the time with my DX Tokina wide angle lens and it's serviceable.

@Peeb I'll probably use the 35mm DX until I get something different so I'll let you know.

I'm going to start my search for the older 35mm or 50mm recommended. Thanks

Last edited:
I have both the Nikon 50mm 1.8G and Nikon 35mm 1.8G
Both excellent!!!
The 35mm 1.8G has one weakness and that's pretty noticeable vignetting but if you have a Lightroom then one press of a button and Vignetting gone so its not really an issue for me.
Super sharp, very light weight and I love it.
The 50mm is just as sharp, no vignette, much cheaper

If I had to choose between these 2 lenses I would go with the 35mm, find it more usable focal range on full frame.
On FX 50mm is a bit stuck in between, to me its not good enough for portraits and not wide enough for landscape, the 35mm is good for some landscape and some group shots so its better for my needs.
For portraits I have my trusty 85mm 1.8G or 70-200mm 2.8

Last edited:
If you decide on the Nikon 50 1.8 and you like to shoot moving targets, do yourself a favor and spend the extra $100 and get the G. The D produces very nice images but I've missed so many shots with mine because the auto focus is slow and jittery compared to the G lenses. I'll be upgrading to the G model as soon as possible.

50mm f1.8 or 1.4 D are the very good lenses. I shot with the 1.4 three years and it was a dream

D610 + 35 f/2D is an amazing combo. Loved that 35mm, wish I didn't sell it. But wanted to try other things. But, I doubt you'll find a used 35 f/2D for $150, but you never know.

I just recently picked up the Tamron 28-75 2.8 (D version) for $240, but you can find them used around $150ish and I've been pretty impressed with it so far. It's sharper than the 24-120 f/4 VR I had!

You can find a 50 1.8G used around $150, even cheaper the older 50 1.8D are very good as well.

If you don't mind wide angle primes, the 24 2.8D can be had for around $150 as well.

There is lots and lots of good full frame glass out there at reasonable prices, you just gotta find it.

I have mostly AF-D lenses.
But I've also found the focus override of some the G lenses very handy. ie, you can simply twist the focus ring to change focus without having to switch a lever (for the AF-D).

My 50mm/1.4 is a AF-S G lens, where as my 50mm/1.8 is AF-D lens.
In using the 1.4 for more artsy things I find the focus override very handy. Just regular shooting though I don't use it.

So if you find yourself using open apertures a lot and go for artsy photos you may want to opt for a lens with focus override, otherwise AF-D are inexpensive good lenses.

Most reactions

Back