Garden picture focus trouble

Ogrefcf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been trying to take some pictures of my Hosta beds and no matter what I try I can seem to be able to get them in focus. Is it just to much green or am I doing something? I am shooting from a tripod and have my F stop at 22 in this picture. I have tried many different stops, focus modes, manual focus mode and am stumped. Any help ideas? I uploaded it to Flicker so it has the Exif info. This is the photo right out of the camera only thing done is it was converted to a jpeg. Thanks in advance

016_01 by ogrefcf, on Flickr

amolitor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Looks ok to me. Any lens is going to start getting a bit soft at f/22. Try it around f/8 or so, you should like the results better.

You don't need f/22 when you're at 18mm, your depth of field is already enormous at f/8 when you're going wide angle like that.

grandpa_chris

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
f/22 isn't helping you here. If anything it's hurting you. Diffraction begins to set in at that small of an aperture and will degrade sharpness across the entire photo. Because you used f/22 the shutter speed was 1/8th of a second. Your camera has a reflex mirror that's a source of vibration and that vibration can degrade sharpness even on a tripod. Did you have VR active? Make sure and turn VR off when the camera is on a tripod. Finally, if you have the camera's multi-point focus system active the camera will likely focus forward. Multi-point focusing is another term for focus on whatever is closest.

H4X1MA

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Oops, chris already said it >.<

Make sure you shut off the VR is you are using a tripod as well.

OP
Ogrefcf

Ogrefcf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
VR was on. Forgot to turn it off. Thanks again! Going to try to get them sharper this week.

Most reactions

New Topics