Gary Fong Lightsphere AKA Fong Dong AKA The Tupperware

PGRIZ, care to show me examples of the close up with LS?

I use it for indoor flash shots, relatively close up (5-12 ft). It's somewhat better than pure bounce flash off the ceiling in that the light on faces is somewhat more even. However, it scatters a lot of light, so even with a good flash (I'm using the 580EX), you've got to be close. It acts a a straight diffuser when you point the dome at your subject, and it works like an augmented bounce flash when directed at the ceiling. You really have to experiment with it to get a sense of when it makes sense to use it, and when other methods are better.

PGRIZ, care to show me examples of the close up with LS?

Most of the time I've been shooting family get-togethers, but I'll see what I can find that isn't too intrusive on private gatherings...

I have one. I like to use it and have had good results with it. It's just a tool in the bag though, like out bits of kit you might have. I don't know why people get derided for using one. Is it because it makes a task easy in some situations? I have gotten to the point where I don't want to mention when it has been used in an image. As MohaimenK points out though, my biggest beef is the amount of room it takes up.

Here are two:
Fong_9683.jpg

FongTest_5259.jpg

If you check the highlights in the eyes, you'll see a dome of light (the bounce from the ceiling), and a bright central source (the light from the dome shooting forward). Without it, and depending on the person and the position of their head, their brows shadow their eyes and create a "sunken eye" look which is not very appealing. With most family shots, you get one or two tries at it, so the Fong gives me a better chance of getting a more pleasing light on the faces.

pgriz, that looks pretty good. So you did exactly what he did. It was just his settings that were wacky.

The girl who told me to try shooting in shutter...had a fong...and she showed me the difference in the pics she was taking at the birthday party.
It did in fact take away alot of glare from the marble fire place, the table tops, the pictures on the walls etc...the ceilings in the house were very high so she just used the fong, she said she uses it alot at weddings as well, she collapsed her fong and it fit nice in her pak.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back