Getting a Canon Rebel XSi....what Lens???

acitycalledcoma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So im pretty new to a non point an shoot camera, Im picking up a Rebel XSi in a couple weeks, and im mostly going to use it for concert/show photography, and photo shoots. Im thinking about getting the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 And a 50mm f/1.8, OR just getting a Canon EF 50 mm f/1.4, But i need some guidance on getting the glass. If the lens's i picked out would be good for what im going to be photographing?
any help would be amazing

Thanks guys
Korey

I would say you need something that could cover the whole stage also, unless you can get a good vantage off stage and use a zoom. I tried to think of a zoom you could use on stage but all my friends sets i needed a f2.8 or better to get the iso down to a usable level. The "nifty fifty" as I have seen it called is a great lens, a bit slow to focus so be prepared for that, but otherwise argueably one of the best lenses ever made. If the kit lense is good enough for the wide shots then you should be set with the 50mm 1.8 and the 85mm 1.8. Keep in mind on your camera their really a 76mm and a 136mm with your crop rate.

I cant use ISO 800 or greater with my XT because of noise lvls, but the new senser and Digic III should help you out with that Xs. So f4 might be enough for you. If thats the case you might really like the 70-200mm f4 for some "in the crowd" shots.

Good luck, can't wait to see your work on here!

Im actually in a band, On tour and would be able to get on stage and have good point around the stage as well, BUT what i really want to shoot is, Photo shoot type of stuff like promos...I think i either want the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4, Or the Canon EF 85mm 1.8. But only have money for ONE lens right now, Ive done a lot or research, but cant seem to find out which would be the better for me of the two lens i picked..

They are both great lenses, you just need to figure out what focal length works better for you.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Ok just an update, I found out, that my camera has already been bought, Its the XSi and my mother had bought the Canon 28-200mm lens, Is this lens going to be good for Photo shoots? ive looked at some photos on Flickr and they look amazing..

its pretty decent, i was looking at it for a while

Most reactions

New Topics

Back