Getting a NEW Laptop!

I suggest Mac - the calibrated screens and creative software availability are great. A MacBook Pro would be ideal. In addition, you will have far fewer computer problems and won't be cursing your computer as much as with a PC.

However, it's still subjective. Also, macs don't really have a price premium over PCs. When just released, they cost about 20-30% LESS than comparable PCs but the price stays the same, even when it get's old (new comp but last year's model), while PCs lose their value as the model becomes older. Thus, PCs are cheaper than Macs at the end of their product cycle.

Mac vs. PC - Price comparison:

Desktop:
Dell Precision T5400 with specs matched to the Mac Pro Base Model - $4820 CAD
Mac Pro - $2899 CAD

Mac is almost $2000 cheaper!

Note: this is somewhat irrelevant because with laptops, macs are currently more expensive but IMHO, the premium is worth it.

I love my 2 Mac Pros, each with the 30" Cinema Display and wouldn't trade it for any crappy dell, unless the dell was less than 1/3 the price, which it is the opposite.

The problem there is when Microsoft turns off XP reactivation.

I've read that this is not going to be an issue for several years. By the time it becomes one, both of my XP machines will be well-obsolete.

As far as Vista goes, you're only allowed to reinstall that twice before it gets switched off and you have to buy another activation number. OSX does not need activation!
You can only transfer the license to a different PC once. This doesn't mean you can only re-install Vista once on the machine it was licensed on.

Rosewill R6425-P BK Black Computer Case - 23.99

Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Power Supply - 49.99

ASUS M3N-HT DELUXE/MEMPIPE AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 780a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - 239.00

AMD Phenom 9750 2.4GHz Socket AM2+ 125W 65nm Quad-Core Processor - 215.00

BFG Tech BFGE98512GTXOCE GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - 259.00

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel - 86.00

total 872

A PC that will slaughter a new mac for less than half the money -- Priceless

lol

point is.. custom built PCs are TONS cheaper than MACs and Pre built PCs.. and these are top quality parts off one website. I'm sure I can find cheaper prices if I dig a little.

Most reactions

Back