Getting Paid!

dnavarrojr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.topekadesign.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First... A friend of a friend was referred to me and I agreed to shoot an event for them. They asked that I take 50% on signing the contract and 50% the day of the event. I generally require 100% up front, but I got soft and relented. The 50% up front went through and on the day of the event I decided to try a new app I got for my iPhone from my bank. It lets me deposit a check by taking a picture of the check. And it will notify me within an hour if there's an issue with the check. Suffice to say there was an issue with the check I got on event day and it allowed me to get the issue resolved BEFORE I spent my entire day there. If your bank offers a similar smartphone app, I'd highly recommend getting it.

Second... I signed up for the PayPal dongle to accept Debit and Credit cards via my iPhone and it rocks. I did a "mini-session" portrait day at a local park and was able to accept credit and debit cards right there in the park from people who just saw me taking portraits and asked how much and if I could do theirs. My bank also offers a dongle, but they charge more for it that PayPal does.

Definitely something to think about.

Yup, I know the chase app usually let's me know within an hour if the check was accepted or not

My bank has it as well. It's awesome. For CC over iphone I use Square but I hear the Paypal version works just as well (6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another)

Good question. Is there an extra % or fee using the Paypal dongle on top of the % they take already? Square charges a low % when you swipe a card and a slightly higher fee when you type it in (credit card payments over the phone)
I may check out the details of Paypal. It would consolidate payment accounts by 1.

Second... I signed up for the PayPal dongle to accept Debit and Credit cards via my iPhone and it rocks. I did a "mini-session" portrait day at a local park and was able to accept credit and debit cards right there in the park from people who just saw me taking portraits and asked how much and if I could do theirs. My bank also offers a dongle, but they charge more for it that PayPal does.

Definitely something to think about.

This sounds like such an awesome idea!
I don't mean to derail your post about this but I'd love to hear more about how this went.
I just signed up on the Paypal Here site to announce me when this comes out in Canada. It appears the are planning it. It's nice to see they have an app for Android as well.

I love the idea of setting up a "studio" in a park and just letting people walk in.
Great idea and it will probably line up more work in the future!

If you have more to tell please start a new thread so we don't veer off on this one.

I was considering getting something like Square (there is a Canadian version coming out or is out) but this is the first time I hear of the Paypal one.
Awesome!

Good question. Is there an extra % or fee using the Paypal dongle on top of the % they take already? Square charges a low % when you swipe a card and a slightly higher fee when you type it in (credit card payments over the phone)
I may check out the details of Paypal. It would consolidate payment accounts by 1.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader

According to the site
"All card swipes and PayPal transactions have the same 2.7% rate with no hidden fees or commitments. Issuing invoices are free of charge."

Most reactions

Back