Girl

She is on a time sensative mission and he is not.

Yeah, I thought about that. And also, similarly, their strides are not directly in synch, but are opposite. There's just "something about" that ever-so-slight bit of motion blur in her that gives a feeling of "time"...it's literally, a "showing" of motion over time, which is something that ultra-short exposure times do not convey, while slower times, the ones that give blurring effects, literally show us a person as she moves, over time.

I tried to extract at least some value from this shot and all I could come up with was the guy with a leaf on his head and a 20% off price tag behind his back. And some moderate orgy of lines and shapes and shades across the frame.

$Girl Small2.jpg

Last edited:
From a purely sexist point of view, her legs appear to be very well toned. Perhaps she's a cyclist?

So, what do we have here? This picture is a bit narrow in appeal. If you're an aficionado of certain kind of street photography you're going to see some things in here. If you're not, you probably are not. The "culture" to which this picture might appeal is kind of narrow. When I "explain" it, I'm not correcting your understanding of the picture. Your understanding is what it is. What I can do is explain a little bit of what's going on within that "culture" that does notice the relevant features of this picture.

If I'd shown a picture of a cross to a 12th century Buddhist, perhaps he'd say "huh?". I can explain the story of Christ to him, and he might at second remove grasp the significance of The Cross in a picture. It's not gonna make him a Christian, though. Maybe he'll convert someday, maybe some day he'll "get" the picture in that way. But explaining it, while helpful, isn't going to make him "get" it in that cultural, visceral, way.

This picture is also substantially outside TPF's norms.

If you don't get it, that's cool. I don't mind, and I appreciate your remarks. It's all good input, and helps me understand how broadly or narrowly appealing my picture is.

A perfect description of a speed camera shot.

I have an explanation for this picture. Looks like Amolitor, subconsciously, maybe, finds this girl hot and that reason enough. In this depatment men have "sometimes" a tunnel vision. :lol: That's all the philosophy.

I think some folks are reaching a bit here. Andy is a nice guy but I just don't see a single redeeming feature in this photo to designate it as a "keeper". Not sure what some folks are playing at, wether it's an ego-stroke, an attempt to sound arty, or just flat out don't know what they are talking about.

Again, nothing personal just my take on the critiquing.

I think some folks are reaching a bit here. Andy is a nice guy but I just don't see a single redeeming feature in this photo to designate it as a "keeper". Not sure what some folks are playing at, wether it's an ego-stroke, an attempt to sound arty, or just flat out don't know what they are talking about.

What about the lovely legs

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

I have an explanation for this picture. Looks like Amolitor, subconsciously, maybe, finds this girl hot and that reason enough. In this depatment men have "sometimes" a tunnel vision. :lol: That's all the philosophy.

Exactly. I wanted to write about it too.

What about the lovely legs

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Hard to see because of the motion blur.

I assure you my attraction is entirely conscious.

What makes this picture go for aficionados of classical street photography is the repeated shapes and postures. The girl, the man, the sandwich board, all pretty much the same posture. Together the three form another triangle (it would be better if the fellow above was about a foot further back). The branch and the car echo, to a lesser degree, some of the same diagonals.

Then there's a little contrast of implied narratives between the guy relaxing and mucking about on his phone, against the girl who is clearly Going Somewhere, and the other remarks people have made about seasonal notes and so on. It all starts from the geometry, though, the repeated triangles.

The geometry isn't particularly obvious here, it's somewhere between "subtle" and "not very good".

Almost all of this is, of course, completely accidental. I was going for "pedestrian versus guy on the deck" and hoping for something interesting to happen. But that's pretty much how street happens.

I would suggest the new TPF Gallery: PNA Photography, aka Pictures Narrow in Appeal. I can flood this Gallery with beautiful PNA shots, promise.

I assure you my attraction is entirely conscious.

What makes this picture go for aficionados of classical street photography is the repeated shapes and postures. The girl, the man, the sandwich board, all pretty much the same posture. Together the three form another triangle (it would be better if the fellow above was about a foot further back). The branch and the car echo, to a lesser degree, some of the same diagonals.

Then there's a little contrast of implied narratives between the guy relaxing and mucking about on his phone, against the girl who is clearly Going Somewhere, and the other remarks people have made about seasonal notes and so on. It all starts from the geometry, though, the repeated triangles.

The geometry isn't particularly obvious here, it's somewhere between "subtle" and "not very good".

Almost all of this is, of course, completely accidental. I was going for "pedestrian versus guy on the deck" and hoping for something interesting to happen. But that's pretty much how street happens.

Amolitor, with due respect, you can close your eyes,take a random street shot, then study it and find all the above ingredients - repeated shapes and lines, similar postures, triangles and "implied narratives". Most probably there will be someone who is going somewhere (or even Going Somewhere !). And a street shot without someone mucking about oh his/her phone in the frame is a big luck these days.
Does it all constitute a good photo? You can not serve a borshch and claim it is tasty because all the ingredients are there: meat, carrots, beetroot, potatos etc. YOU NEED TO KNOW HOW TO COOK IT, MATE.

What makes this picture go for aficionados of classical street photography...

So if I don't like it I must not be an aficionado and incorrect?

What makes this picture go for aficionados of classical street photography...

So if I don't like it I must not be an aficionado and incorrect?

Liking it is irrelevant. If you don't pick up on the geometry, then you're not an aficionado. The words "correct" and "incorrect" don't even seem to be applicable.

Most reactions

Back