Girl

I think some folks are reaching a bit here. Andy is a nice guy but I just don't see a single redeeming feature in this photo to designate it as a "keeper". Not sure what some folks are playing at, wether it's an ego-stroke, an attempt to sound arty, or just flat out don't know what they are talking about.

Again, nothing personal just my take on the critiquing.

What about the lovely legs

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Hard to see because of the motion blur.

Also wide open just how i like them

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

I see balance, timing and geometry. I'll be honest that I'm not a fan of this image, but i love how the branch reflected mimics the weight of the car, the woman would be better if caught just slightly earlier in my opinion.

Its a bit cluttered, but that just my opinion! :D

Im on my phone at work so im not getting to see a very large image, but i like the lighter of the full images better than the darker. Love the womans boots, and for some reason, the way you caught her mid stride reminds me of a Beatles album. Abbey road perhaps? Cant remember now... Been too long since i had records.

My biggest nitpick here would be the branches in the way. I find them a bit distracting. I personally might like this one better cropped down to just the woman and a bit of surroundings.

There are actually a gazillion lines and shapes, way more than I saw initially. However, I keep going back to her legs wondering how tall she is; that seems to be one helluva stride she just took.

I like the shot. And as long as you don't take 3000 pictures of her and start using them as wallpaper it's not creepy at all ;)

This seems like not quite having the vantage point needed because of the car, which seems to be in the way and more of a distraction than anything. If it would have been possible to move a step or two to be able to shoot over or around the car the photo might have worked (or if the traffic light had changed and the car moved in time...). I usually think if something's in a photo it needs to work as part of the image or it's better to keep it out.

Maybe waiting til she took one or two more strides might have gotten a better photo, or maybe it just wouldn't have worked. Doing sports and events I've found it's a good bit of time spent watching and waiting til the right moment, and I've had my share of times that I just missed the shot. Looking at the door the photo appears to need to be straightened, and it might benefit from being brightened and/or the contrast adjusted (at least how it looks on here on my monitor).

I feel like I see the intent, having the sandwich board in the foreground that has a blackboard look to it, and the sign in the same blackboard style next to the door balancing each other; the woman with the long stride and the man not, with the pattern of the fence in between. That's the best part of the photo but it seems cut off because the car seems to obstruct the view and takes away from the pattern and balance of the image.

Photography obviously being a visual medium if it takes a lot of explanation then it seems like the photo just didn't really convey what was intended.

The idea that everyone should view every picture identically, that there is no room for different backgrounds, different cultures, different lives, to affect how we see pictures is narrow minded and stupid.

The fact is that every picture has a set of pre-requisites to "get" it. Some require little, we consider these to be "universal" but of course they are not. They're just broadly accessible. Some are narrow, pictures of grandma at her 90th birthday are pretty meaningless to anyone who isn't related to grandma. The fact is that this is a picture that is accessible to aficionados of a certain genre. If you don't get it, that doesn't say one single solitary damn thing about you except that you're not an aficionado of that genre.

Now you can quote me, because I'm attacking people:

By attacking me when I am at some non-trivial pains to be careful, to not denigrate you or anyone else, to explain some things in neutral and non-confrontational ways, you earn my ire. It's insulting that you think so little of me that you cannot be bothered to read or understand what I wrote. I am accordingly insulted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the concept of equating human body positions with the position of an inanimate sandwich board is an absolutely huge stretch, a rationalization made after the fact.

There's an old, old expression, "You might someday mistake a shadow for a man, but you will never mistake a man for a shadow."

The sandwich board = human body position is patently dubious.

Holy cow Batman, this has gotten out of control.

Amolitor, I think Runnah has a fair point, but you do as well.

I don't think you should have said "This will be appreciated by a certain type of street aficionados", simply because once you say that, there will be people who say they "get it", simply to be in a group.

Plus you've left no room for a third option. Either you're an aficionado so you like it, or you don't like it so you must not be an aficionado. Is it not possible to be an aficionado and not like it?

But I agree that you were not attacking anyone. I don't like the picture and I definitely don't claim to be any sort of aficionado.

Just my $0.02.

I think the concept of equating human body positions with the position of an inanimate sandwich board is an absolutely huge stretch, a rationalization made after the fact.

Well, sure. That doesn't mean it's not there, eh? Almost everything in this picture is a sheer accident, I certainly wasn't thinking about the sandwich board when I shot it. I think you're arguing that I am digging up the sandwich board to support whatever fondness I might have for the picture, which is, sure, fair enough. But isn't that true of everything we see in a picture? We like it, we find things in it that we like, and there they are.

For a similar sort of comparison, and let me be careful here, I am not equating myself to HCB, look at Behind The Gare St Lazare, and note the shape of the roof lines versus the shape of the man's legs. There is an echoing of shapes here, arguably a rationalization after the fact as well. This isn't a comparison I invented. I think his picture would be less pleasing with flat rooflines in the background. Anyways, there's precedent for comparing these kinds of things.

My picture would certainly be less pleasing to me without the sandwich board, now that I've noticed it.

I don't understand this because I am not a reading aficionado.

Anyways you can think as you please and I shall do the same. I called you on some BS and you blew up so that leads me to think that you knew it is was so.

You need to take some time off the forum amolitor. I am offended by this and your not even talking to me!

I first viewed your image when there were very few comments and thought "I don't really like it, but maybe I just don't get it." As this thread has spiraled out of control, I think that it basically it boils down to this:

You like the picture. A lot of people don't. If you don't like a corvette, and I go on and on about the amazing worth of the wheels or brake calipers that were put on it, that explains why I'm gaga about it maybe, but that doesn't mean you have to all of a sudden change your opinion. And it certainly doesn't make you less intelligent or a lessen person than me for having a different opinion.

*I think that it is also very worth noting that when a newbie here posts C&C, they would be slapped on the wrist for reacting like this. Heck, if someone posts "I love this shot, what do you think?" , it is often replied "it makes is difficult for honest feedback when you preface a post with the fact that you love it".
Just because you've been here a while and post often, does not mean that everyone must sing praises of all your work. Take the feedback, consider it, learn from it, and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never can remember that saying complicated things on the internet is a terrible idea. People will skim it, they'll lump it with some other stuff they read once and decide what you mean, and then reply based on that. What you actually write is largely irrelevant.

Most reactions

Back