Girl

Again, it must be easier to assume that people aren't reading your posts in this thread, than accepting the fact that they are reading your posts, comprehending your posts, and simply disagreeing with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never can remember that saying complicated things on the internet is a terrible idea. People will skim it, they'll lump it with some other stuff they read once and decide what you mean, and then reply based on that. What you actually write is largely irrelevant.

What comes across is you really do think that you're a great deal smarter and more sophisticated than the rest of us and that you're doing us a significant favor by sharing your time.

Last edited:
Anyone who isn't commenting on the image can count on having their comments removed from here on out. When discussion turns from evaluating an image to evaluating the photographer, it's over.

If some of you would learn to keep your personal opinions of others to yourselves, the forum would be better for it. There is no reason this thread had to turn south other than people continued to jab the photographer as opposed to the photo. Please refrain.

OK, one more desperate attempt to salvage this masterpiece.

$Girl Smalled.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 64413

c&c welcome, of course, and thanks in advance!

If I were to score this an a matted print in a judging situation, this image would score a 63, based mostly on plugged up dark tones, excessive dead and uninteresting space throughout the majority of the frame, and a lack of a successfully-executed concept. Like the huge preponderance of photos that I think we all make/take/shoot/snap/grab, whatever, this photo really does not rise to the level of P for Pick in Lightroom. It's a shot made on the street, from a distance, and as such it shows us the scene from afar, and does not involve us very actively. It's filled with modern urban clutter.

You want to talk about the "strength" or "virtue" of two humans snapped while walking, and a sandwich board sign as some kind of Holy Grail of virtue, well, fine, but this is a street snap, and not a very compelling one based on the reactions here. We could also go on to liken the horizontal lines of the concrete wall with the horizontal rails of the fence, as well as the horizontal rails that decorate the building facade. Or we could wax rhapsodic about the four white boards flanking the nail and hair salon's doors and groove on how those horizontal lines "echo" the upright steel fence posts. And hey--there's a brick wall in the upper-right corner, and the lower-left or OPPOSITE corner is ALSO a flat surface, but in a different orientation. Yeah...if you sit down and take a fine-toothed comb to this, we can come up with many similarities between elements. That's because people love to try and connect things that, often times, are not really connected in ANY substantive, meaningful way. And that's what you're try to hammer into our heads, Andrew--that this snap has some kind of magically amazing geometry that elevates it.

Again, I'd give this a 63 if I were to score this image.

One thing for sure, Amolitor knows, how to cause hot discussion around questionable images of his. It is not first time he probes mental state of this forum, :sexywink:, this time to the point, that Terri has to intervene. And there are tons of other offerings starved for evaluation, with zero or one responses.
This image is just a snapshot. More in it of spirit of Lomography, than in Amolitor's "A Little Portfolio", where he actually admits that. :lol:

Whether or not I "see" what Andrew sees, and whether or not we agree that the image is "good" or not, isn't really the point. Part of our own education or perception verification is to put out stuff we like (or aren't sure of) and see what kind of reaction we get. If the image doesn't tickle everybody's fancy, what is the harm in discussing what we think works and what doesn't? At worse, we will disagree. Pftt. So there's no learning opportunity this time around, at least for many of us. That's fine too. Personally, I do really like when people post their offbeat images and make us work a little at trying to suss out the sense (or non-sense) in them. Hefting barbells at the gym is kinda pointless in itself, except for the stimulus it affords our muscles. If we don't get it - there's plenty more threads where we can frolic and have fun.

The image doesn't work for me, either for what it's worth. I think I see some elements you might have been playing with, but I feel like there are two many other things in the image that don't seem to tie into that, so it's muddied.

I don't see it. Then again, I am a simple fella.

The title you gave the thread and photo was "Girl" I take that as the "Girl" is your intended subject. all this talk of boards and lines and such is irrelevant. The fact remains that my eyes are not drawn to the intended subject. What's the point of all the debate?

The title you gave the thread and photo was "Girl" I take that as the "Girl" is your intended subject. all this talk of boards and lines and such is irrelevant. The fact remains that my eyes are not drawn to the intended subject. What's the point of all the debate?

Agreed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back