Girl

I tried to see Andy's POV first before reading all the rest of the palavering that took place over the course of 4 pages of comments. I have to agree as the image was posted, there was a lot of disconnect between the signs, the hurried lady and the disinterested cell phone guy, but taking the image and removing the non-interest "debris," one can start understanding Andy's initial vision. We have two characters, both quite intent on a task before them. The lady is in a hurry to get somewhere, and because of the slowed shutter speed, we really don't know if she is in a hurry or intentionally blurred to appear so...though, does that make any difference?

On the second level (literally, in this case) we have a gentleman quite intent on reading a text message, this evidenced by his slower movement and the direction of his eyes. Neither figure seems the least bit interested in their immediate surroundings, therefore these elements become distractingly superfluous. With a little more conscientious effort in editing the scene, I think Andy could make this into a much stronger statement...would it still grab attention? I think so as there are all the necessary elements for a good street shot, at least by those elements I've read. This is one such possibility toward giving the shot a fighting chance.

$andy.jpg

The picture is still a dud IMHO.

Well, I'm not so sure about the brilliance of triangles or other geometric pleasures, but I do see social issues being touched upon in this image.

There's the woman, who is blonde, shapely, wearing a short skirt, tight clothing, and high heels. She is representative of Western beauty ideals. The sign shows us some of these rituals and bourgeois privilege. The man looks asian to me, but that could just be me stereotyping--he could also be waiting for his turn or for someone else to finish up. I think the image would be stronger if he was an employee, and if that was more obvious, because than you would understand his role in the image as a service worker, and the driving force of it all, these Western beauty ideals.

That's my take.

It's tough for me to get past the thought of a gorgeous, physically strong and shapely woman, huffing it with purpose carrying a huge purse or shopping bag.

Last edited:
but I do see social issues being touched upon in this image.

I see no connection whatsoever between the two figures.

It's just "street" and nothing else. Good street.

I don't think this picture would have gotten anywhere near the amount of feedback if it was from anyone else :mrgreen:

but I do see social issues being touched upon in this image.

I see no connection whatsoever between the two figures.

It's just "street" and nothing else. Good street.

I completely agree there's no relationship between the two. I wish there was one, though, besides belonging to a geometrical element. At least then something would be at stake, something would resonate emotionally.

Seriously. If I want to appreciate shapes and triangles, I'll go look at The Raft of the Medusa, where the triangle actually means something, where there's something at stake, something to be learned by looking.

The top of the triangle is supposed to be the height of the action. That is where the most important figure goes -- here, there's a guy on his cell phone; it's anti-climactic. He's at the top, yet he doesn't matter, he's just the property of a shape. Meaningless.

Still, I wouldn't call this image a failure, because I do see an interesting connection between the woman and the hair salon sign. I just don't find the geometrical properties all that revealing or innovative.

You guys are really starting to reach hard to justify this image……..

I think andy tossed up his hands and left a while ago.

Andy who? OHhhhh...That Andy. I remember him. He's the guy that posted here FIVE pages ago.

I think more people on here spend too much time wanting to make the photograph theirs (or not) than ever speaking to the merits of what's before them. "I would have liked more space to the right, less contrast, in color and not black & white, in black in white not color..."I think the image would be stronger if he was an employee, and if that was more obvious, because than you would understand his role in the image as a service worker, and the driving force of it all, these Western beauty ideals," as if the photographer made a decision not based on the viewer's likes and dislikes. Folks, it's not yours to speculate on the want but what's in front of you. I find there is more time spent bashing ("I completely agree there's no relationship between the two," Say what...based on your judgment that is based on the triangles in the Raft of the Medusa. Given the direction Gericault's work was taking after that painting was accomplished, had he been made that painting earlier, on this forum he'd of either been totally panned for so-so work, or booted for suggestive work, or more likely, just ignored. Genius is sometimes not realized immediately by an artist. Sometimes it takes time. Jenko based more of her critique on not liking the bourgeoisie (this is the correct spelling) potential of the lady based solely on the issue of a short, tight skirt, blonde representing Western beauty ideals. Come on, tell me how this has squat to do with direction, geometrics, line, value, contrast or any other criteria for determining the value of a work. This was not an artwork where the artist could place everyone in an "ideal," provide the perfect lighting, drama, or place the most dramatic point at the apex of the triangle. It's a street shot, for HCB's sake. It's not terribly successful, but there are elements that could have been addressed and left Andy out of the equation completely, left some idealistic Romantic ideal back in 1830.

I've see stuff posted by Rick58 that was quite simple, quite plain but marvelously executed and ignored time after time. Maybe he's not in the club, maybe he's also seen as a Bourgeoisie pig because he's a white male, non-Asian, who makes more than minimum wage...most of you need to engage your brain before your fingers touch the keyboard. What a giggle.

Maybe he's not in the club, maybe he's also seen as a Bourgeoisie pig because he's a white male, non-Asian, who makes more than minimum wage...most of you need to engage your brain before your fingers touch the keyboard.

So if he was poor and Asian woman we'd think differently? I think your idea train left the station without all the passengers on board, and the train was on fire, and heading off a cliff which also is on fire.

I agree with Ceeboy, well I WAS with Ceeboy for most of that....well half of that....really the first part.

I think this thread is starting to run its course.

OP...post another photo! ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back