"GIve me your raw files!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CowgirlMama

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How would you respond if someone told you to hand over your raw files? In this case, it's a relative asking for the raw versions of pictures that I took of her kids while babysitting. I gave her final, processed images because she's family and this was just for fun. Besides, I got some great shots and she might as well have the freedom to enjoy and/or print them. I wouldn't have given files to a client. ;)

Apparently, post processing is evil. :confused: I didn't do anything big. Just very basic polishing on the images. Like I do to every single shot that actually makes it as far as anyone seeing it. ;) So, whatever. Don't like it. I'm still going to do it. :p Since I only gave her polished images, she's decided that she needs the raw files for her husband to process right. I said no. I told her I can give her the "original" jpgs. As in, I'm going back and undoing the adjustments and doing a straight conversion.

But, for the sake of discussion, I'd like to see how you would respond to such a demand. If she'd been anyone else, it would have been a resounding "H*** NO!" but I didn't have time for a lecture on swearing. :lol:

I would respond with giving them the price I charge.

I'm not a pro, so I don't have a price. Would you just make it up? I don't have actual clients at this point. Just friends that I bribe with free FB pics or ice cream to take pictures for practice. :lol:

I would give them the raw files, and let them do it the right way.
Also add their watermark and signature of their professional photography business on facebook.

Tell her to back off or find a new babysitter. She got a problem with they way you did the photos then cut her off. No photos, no copies, no babysitting, nothing.

I think you should still do babysitting for her, just leave your camera in the car.

Or at home.

If they want pictures, they can buy a camera of their own.

Say no, in 43 different languages. Confuse her and then judo chop her. She's family. She'll understand.

I would give her the old GFYS.

Yeah.. negativo on that one. lol

I wouldn't even give them unedited jpgs - just let her hubby work with what they have.

He can't exactly undo what I did. Of course, he can't duplicated it from the unedited files, either. ;) I figure, if she wants to hang crap, that's her choice. A straight conversion from raw with no adjustments is flat and ugly. Oh well. She'll very likely regret it when she sees the originals, but, again, her choice.

I'd make them uncompressed 16-bit .TIFF files, just for the storage hassles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back