"GIve me your raw files!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you guys understand how my family works. If you have someone's kid, you take pictures and put them on FB with whatever camera you have. It's part of sharing what you did with their kids. That's how it works. There is no contract. It's FAMILY. I think it's stupid to have a contract for family.

As far as reputation, I'm not really concerned about it. I don't have one. Especially where she lives. However, they are MINE. And they're not bad. They're a bit cool. Otherwise, they're just boring. I fixed white balance, did a curves adjustment then did some basic work in photoshop. Very basic. (The oldest wanted some really bad acne removed, her mom apparently thinks it's good to have a giant zit on your forehead.) I don't do big editing. My aunt thinks I do because of my son's eyes. His eyes are 3 colors. She assumes I do that in post because she mostly sees him indoors with crappy light. When I take portraits, I make sure his face is properly lit. When light hits his eyes, you can see the colors. Those who know him well can attest that his eyes really are three colors. My aunt thinks they're brown. She posts on everything I share that I need to "tone down the eyes", even when it's a jpg out of my phone that was uploaded straight from the phone without ever seeing an editing program.

Shooting raw: She knows I do it because she knows what camera I have. Her daughter has my old one and now shoots raw. (Upon close examination, her daughter does saturation, curves and exposure adjustments on her raw files, but doesn't admit as much to her parents.) I could shoot the jpg, too, but why bother? Raw gives me more room for adjustments when I want them. And lots of room for fixing if I'm just chasing little kids and taking candids without paying as much attention to settings. Planned shots are already properly composed and lit. White balance is my biggest enemy, which, of course, is a one-click fix in any raw program.

My uncle does graphic design and has since before I was born. He has photoshop. Processing is not an issue for them.

There's no "keep family happy" in this. This is a competition between me and my cousin that I don't want to be caught in. They push her to be better than me at everything I do. I go about my daily life, take my pictures, play piano and any number of other things I enjoy. They push my cousin to try each skill as well, then push her to be better than me. When she's not, they need a way to prove she really is. On this, it's that I "have to" edit and use autofocus and she doesn't. Oh, well. She'll be this good when she has as many years behind her. It takes practice to reach a certain skill level. I've practiced. And I'm still learning. I don't claim to be the best, but I do know a lot. I'm a hobbyist. Eventually, maybe I'll be ready to go pro. Maybe. Maybe not. For now, I am what I am.

You overvalue your files

If you have someone's kid, you take pictures and put them on FB with whatever camera you have. It's part of sharing what you did with their kids.

Just a side note, I NEVER put anything family-related on FB. It would be the same as hanging prints of relatives at the local supermarket's walls. And I just don't do that. ;)

This is a competition between me and my cousin that I don't want to be caught in. They push her to be better than me at everything I do. I go about my daily life, take my pictures, play piano and any number of other things I enjoy. They push my cousin to try each skill as well, then push her to be better than me. When she's not, they need a way to prove she really is. On this, it's that I "have to" edit and use autofocus and she doesn't. Oh, well. She'll be this good when she has as many years behind her. It takes practice to reach a certain skill level. I've practiced. And I'm still learning. I don't claim to be the best, but I do know a lot. I'm a hobbyist. Eventually, maybe I'll be ready to go pro. Maybe. Maybe not. For now, I am what I am.

Oh dear, poor you! Really!

One piece of advice, just do not take photographs of those relatives and their kids. Never ever. Tell them she should do it, and that is it. You will have plenty of other chances to photograph other people and grow skill-wise.

You overvalue your files

Wrong. If you read, this is not about files here in the end.

It is a family problem, and we cannot help her with that at all.

I don't think you guys understand how my family works. If you have someone's kid, you take pictures and put them on FB with whatever camera you have. It's part of sharing what you did with their kids. That's how it works. There is no contract. It's FAMILY. I think it's stupid to have a contract for family.

As far as reputation, I'm not really concerned about it. I don't have one. Especially where she lives. However, they are MINE. And they're not bad. They're a bit cool. Otherwise, they're just boring. I fixed white balance, did a curves adjustment then did some basic work in photoshop. Very basic. (The oldest wanted some really bad acne removed, her mom apparently thinks it's good to have a giant zit on your forehead.) I don't do big editing. My aunt thinks I do because of my son's eyes. His eyes are 3 colors. She assumes I do that in post because she mostly sees him indoors with crappy light. When I take portraits, I make sure his face is properly lit. When light hits his eyes, you can see the colors. Those who know him well can attest that his eyes really are three colors. My aunt thinks they're brown. She posts on everything I share that I need to "tone down the eyes", even when it's a jpg out of my phone that was uploaded straight from the phone without ever seeing an editing program.

Shooting raw: She knows I do it because she knows what camera I have. Her daughter has my old one and now shoots raw. (Upon close examination, her daughter does saturation, curves and exposure adjustments on her raw files, but doesn't admit as much to her parents.) I could shoot the jpg, too, but why bother? Raw gives me more room for adjustments when I want them. And lots of room for fixing if I'm just chasing little kids and taking candids without paying as much attention to settings. Planned shots are already properly composed and lit. White balance is my biggest enemy, which, of course, is a one-click fix in any raw program.

My uncle does graphic design and has since before I was born. He has photoshop. Processing is not an issue for them.

There's no "keep family happy" in this. This is a competition between me and my cousin that I don't want to be caught in. They push her to be better than me at everything I do. I go about my daily life, take my pictures, play piano and any number of other things I enjoy. They push my cousin to try each skill as well, then push her to be better than me. When she's not, they need a way to prove she really is. On this, it's that I "have to" edit and use autofocus and she doesn't. Oh, well. She'll be this good when she has as many years behind her. It takes practice to reach a certain skill level. I've practiced. And I'm still learning. I don't claim to be the best, but I do know a lot. I'm a hobbyist. Eventually, maybe I'll be ready to go pro. Maybe. Maybe not. For now, I am what I am.
I would try to get on the Dr. Phil show, because this is over my head. You are spending way too much time worrying about what your family thinks of your images. Who gives a sh*t. Go shoot and continue to improve. That is all I can tell you.

Never mind...

Last edited:
You know what? I'm going to ask that this thread be closed. This wasn't supposed to be about me. I said "just curious what you would do" meaning what would you do if it was asked of you. Since you'd all rather try to decide what to do about my family, I'm done. You don't know my family. You don't know how it works. No one's freaking out that they're online. They WANT them online and they WANT them set public so they can share. So, SHUT THE HELL UP and MODS PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD.

You gave us the information. We didn't ask you about your family issues. Just sayin'. You might want to PM the mods to request them to close the thread. Lose the attitude. It will not help your situation either.

Last edited:
You know what? I'm going to ask that this thread be closed. This wasn't supposed to be about me. I said "just curious what you would do" meaning what would you do if it was asked of you. Since you'd all rather try to decide what to do about my family, I'm done. You don't know my family. You don't know how it works. No one's freaking out that they're online. They WANT them online and they WANT them set public so they can share. So, SHUT THE HELL UP and MODS PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD.

Surely no other family in history has been as dysfunctional as yours, right. Hell, my family put the "fun" in "dysfunctional".

But, just to be clear, here's my advice to you with regards to them demanding the RAW files: Politely tell them to go piss up a rope.

Now, howzabout you lose that big ol' chip on your shoulder, mkay?

Last edited:

If you truly believe that you have some sort of obligation to do anything with the images, then you cannot be helped, and you cannot be reasoned with...

Ok people lets bring this to a close - each family is its own thing and lets not get caught up in flame wars of "Your family is more/less dysfunctional than mine.

Furthermore it is expected of users to be able to share their viewpoints without resorting to vulgar language or sniping insults at others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back