"GIve me your raw files!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give her a blank memory card. The pics were on there when you gave it to her. :sexywink:

I do give out the RAWs, no problem as long as the recipient is a photographer (not necessarily a pro) and knows what he is doing. All others only get JPG.
I don't understand this.

It's not like you're giving someone materials to build a bridge, and you have a concern that if you give them something without direction they'll produce something that hurts someone. In the end, it's an edit of a photo you composed and actuated.

What's the difference between someone butchering your JPEG vs. the RAW? (Skilled photographer or unskilled photographer)

... from my experience, unskilled people do more extreme edits with RAW files than with JPGs, not always leading to the better results ;) Also those who explicitly ask for the RAW files, are usually those who will do much more butchering ;)

Generally I do not care too much about people editing images I took for them, as long as they do not produce something totally horrible.

I do not care if someone does alter a portrait or a wedding shot I took, however things are totally different when it comes to those images I consider or at least pretend to be art ;) There I would not give out the RAW or a high res version of my edit ;)

I do give out the RAWs, no problem as long as the recipient is a photographer (not necessarily a pro) and knows what he is doing. All others only get JPG.

Agree. I do give out my RAWs to other photographers.

If two or more photographers are shooting at the same event and all photos are going to collectively presented together then you want uniformity. You want all images adjusted with (just one example) matching white balance. So this makes sense.

But realistically, most people cannot open RAW files if they aren't a photographer or have graphics software that can deal with RAWs for _your_ specific camera.

Sounds pretty damn ungrateful.

I'd still take pictures of the little curtain climbers, but I'd give them nothing. It'll drive the Mom out of her mind...

Sounds pretty damn ungrateful.

I think it is just that they don't like the editing done by the OP, and figure that they can do better.

Take a bunch of photos of breakable household objects in raw format.

Give those photos to your family member.

Ask her to reimburse you for them, as they will surely break at some point.

I would then suggest that you say "YOLO." But that part is optional.

........Since I only gave her polished images, she's decided that she needs the raw files for her husband to process right...........

Translation: "I think you're a crappy photographer. Your editing sucks. My husband, who owns nothing more than a 14-year-old Kodak point-and-shoot, is far better. But since you've already gone to the trouble of actually taking the shots (not that we can do any better, of course!), he'll be happy to pull those turds out of the toilet and make something respectable out of them."

I read and read, then skimmed...lol hurting my brain. way too much overthinking.

anyone ever think that maybe dad tools around with photoshop and just wants to try something different with them, and would rather have the raw image, as we all know you can do more with a raw. They might really like the shots and dad just wants to either play with them or even crappify them.

bottom line.... who the F cares? it's family, it's kids....no biggie.

People act like their raw images are prized possessions. It's stupid. Unless you're a working pro, they don't have a price.

Don't get all butthurt about it and give 'em to em. Hell, you might even learn something.

and now to add fuel to the fire of the silly ramblin....'cause it's fun...hehehe

most folks don't wanna give up their raw files 'cause they are scared for others to see how chitty their shots were before processing...embarrassed even.

There, I said it. haha

^We defer to your expertise in silly rambling Pallycow.

:biggrin:

I don't think you guys understand how my family works. If you have someone's kid, you take pictures and put them on FB with whatever camera you have. It's part of sharing what you did with their kids. That's how it works. There is no contract. It's FAMILY. I think it's stupid to have a contract for family.

As far as reputation, I'm not really concerned about it. I don't have one. Especially where she lives. However, they are MINE. And they're not bad. They're a bit cool. Otherwise, they're just boring. I fixed white balance, did a curves adjustment then did some basic work in photoshop. Very basic. (The oldest wanted some really bad acne removed, her mom apparently thinks it's good to have a giant zit on your forehead.) I don't do big editing. My aunt thinks I do because of my son's eyes. His eyes are 3 colors. She assumes I do that in post because she mostly sees him indoors with crappy light. When I take portraits, I make sure his face is properly lit. When light hits his eyes, you can see the colors. Those who know him well can attest that his eyes really are three colors. My aunt thinks they're brown. She posts on everything I share that I need to "tone down the eyes", even when it's a jpg out of my phone that was uploaded straight from the phone without ever seeing an editing program.

Shooting raw: She knows I do it because she knows what camera I have. Her daughter has my old one and now shoots raw. (Upon close examination, her daughter does saturation, curves and exposure adjustments on her raw files, but doesn't admit as much to her parents.) I could shoot the jpg, too, but why bother? Raw gives me more room for adjustments when I want them. And lots of room for fixing if I'm just chasing little kids and taking candids without paying as much attention to settings. Planned shots are already properly composed and lit. White balance is my biggest enemy, which, of course, is a one-click fix in any raw program.

My uncle does graphic design and has since before I was born. He has photoshop. Processing is not an issue for them.

There's no "keep family happy" in this. This is a competition between me and my cousin that I don't want to be caught in. They push her to be better than me at everything I do. I go about my daily life, take my pictures, play piano and any number of other things I enjoy. They push my cousin to try each skill as well, then push her to be better than me. When she's not, they need a way to prove she really is. On this, it's that I "have to" edit and use autofocus and she doesn't. Oh, well. She'll be this good when she has as many years behind her. It takes practice to reach a certain skill level. I've practiced. And I'm still learning. I don't claim to be the best, but I do know a lot. I'm a hobbyist. Eventually, maybe I'll be ready to go pro. Maybe. Maybe not. For now, I am what I am.

Agree. I do give out my RAWs to other photographers.

If two or more photographers are shooting at the same event and all photos are going to collectively presented together then you want uniformity. You want all images adjusted with (just one example) matching white balance. So this makes sense.

But realistically, most people cannot open RAW files if they aren't a photographer or have graphics software that can deal with RAWs for _your_ specific camera.

I see this differently. I did exchange RAW files once with a fellow photographer following an event. Of course, he was also a friend and we were sharing content we both needed for different purposes. We couldn't be everywhere at once, so we took a divide and conquer approach. ;)

Hadn't thought about the specific camera angle. I think they're running an older PS, so likely can't open my files. I had to upgrade just to be able to open what comes out of the 6D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back