Give up 2 crop bodies for 1 full frame?

Light Artisan

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thought ran across my mind today... I enjoy my crop bodies (I do a lot of wildlife shooting), but I've always wanted to see what all the fuss was about with fullframe.

I just can't decide if it's worth it for me to get rid of my D300s and D7000 to pick up a D700.

I realize the D700 is due for an upgrade and the D7000 is right up there in performance for the most part, but the D700 has almost been a staple in the other type of photography I've been doing lately which is portraits and low light event/business photography.

My lenses are fullframe (Sigma 18-50 and 70-200 f/2.8's) and the Nikon 50mm f/1.4D, although the one lens I have that isn't I'd sell with one of the camera bodies (Nikon 18-105 VR).

Looks like I can get a Nikon refub for $2,274.95 at Adorama, figure I'd have a little left over if I went this route (selling the 2 bodies and lens).

Any thoughts on this random idea?

I found the combination of having one each to be rather nice.

That's not a bad idea either, I think the D7000/D700 combo would be nice. Then I'd have to get the SB-700 to have everything match number wise. :lol:

Can't really afford that option though.

Last edited:
I would wait to see how the d800 pans out.

It will be too expensive, D700 has come down to a level I could justify if I got rid of my 2 crop bodies and I don't see the D700 coming down much when its replacement is released - whenever that may be.

I love how Canon you can go full frame with only $900!

It will be too expensive, D700 has come down to a level I could justify if I got rid of my 2 crop bodies and I don't see the D700 coming down much when its replacement is released - whenever that may be.
You either have the goods or not. Are we playing a game of circle jerk?

Rent one for a day or two and find out.

+1

fullframe is a big difference to crop sensor so its not really something we can strongly recommend you change to - esp as you main shooting is wildlife based. Try renting one or if you're a member of a camera club try seeing if you can use someones for an hour or so - you might fall in love with it or you might find you hate it.

Sorry i should have been more specific. When it is released you will be finding alot of used d700's floatinr around and their prices will drop. Especially on for sale by individual owner sites (craiglists, etc) because some people will wanna upgrade just to upgrade

Ahh, gotcha... I thought you meant to get the D700's replacement - now I think I understand Kundalini's response better :lol:

Now that's not a bad idea (now that I know what you meant).

Ahh, gotcha... I thought you meant to get the D700's replacement - now I think I understand Kundalini's response better :lol:

Now that's not a bad idea (now that I know what you meant).

I actually meant it both ways! haha. But seriously I just checked national camera exchange used list and D90's are popping up in groups of 3 or 4. I think alot of people using D200 are upgrading as well. I seen 6-7 used pop up a few days ago.

Another option may be to just sell your D300. I'm not sure if you need it to sustain your income, but you should be able to get a nice penny for it right? $1,000-$1,300 right. We all know tax season is coming up, and I'm not sure if you get any loot back from uncle sam. You could try to sell, bank that cash for a few months and drop that ontop of the tax rebate and you could grab a used D3s for around $4k and still have your D7000 for the benifits of it's smaller sensor. This is all assuming you'll get a large sum of cash back this year. If not thats a grand, or more, towards a used D700 plus whatever you can save or tax refund.

And you'll keep your new D7000 either way!

Yeah, I guess I'll just start with selling the D300s - as much as I like it I really don't need 2 crop sensor bodies that are so similar.

I prefer the build of the D300s, but the D7000 is superior in IQ for what I shoot. Granted I'll miss the 9 shot bracketing and perhaps the extra focal points as well, but that's about it.

Most reactions

Back