Glacier National Park trip, need suggestions on equipment.

Sorry, but that means?

GREY MARKEY

What do you mean rotate the filter? Thats probably a really noob question.
A circular polarizer is a filter that has two parts. The front part can be rotated and that changes the amount of polarized/unpolarized light that is filtered. You look though the lens and rotate the front part of the filter to see which effect you like best. So when you have a hood on the lens, it can be hard to reach the filter to rotate it. Also, cheaper lenses will rotate the front of the lens when they focus...so you have to be sure to focus first, then rotate the filter. Also, when you rotate the camera to portrait orientation, you will have to adjust the filter again. Lastly, a circular polarizer gives differing results based on your angle to the sun. It works best when facing at 90 degrees to the sun's rays.

dont get grey market items, make sure they have a USA warranty and the seller is an authorized dealer of the company such as Canon, Olympus, Nikon, etc

Thanks guys. Do you any of you have any dealings with B&H, are they good?

I don't see too much of an issue when buying grey market from B&H. If the price was close, I'd go with the 'US' version...but if the saving were great, I wouldn't hesitate.

B&H is probably one of the biggest Photography retailers in the US and maybe the world. I've spent a lot of money on their site and everything has been great. If you do buy from them, we would appreciate it, if you would use the B&H link at the top/right of the page. (refresh if you don't see it). It's helps the forum.

That being said, there are also benefits to buying your gear locally. You get face to face contact with real people (who hopfully are knowledgeable enough to help you) and if you have a problem, it's easier to bring something back to a store, rather than send it in. That depends where you live though.

Is the 75-300mm USM worth the extra $40 over the normal 75-300mm?

The difference between the USM model and the non-USM model is that the USM will probably focus more quickly and the focus motor will be quieter. Is that worth $40 to you? For me, it would be. But if you apply that $40 savings to a lens hood, it would probably be better spent.

A comfortable camera strap, Like the Photo Forum strap. Its a real nice op-tech strap, and its cheaper on the photoforum than anywhere else.

Also whats the difference between this Click and thisClick.

Also on the BH website there's different prices for the same lenses the only difference being Imported and USA. What's that about?

Sorry for all the questions.
Didn't see that anyone had answered this, so..

The first link is the older 75-300, pre-USM. The second is newer and has USM.

USM = Ultra Sonic Motor. It autofocuses faster and quieter than the older versions. Also, the coatings have been slightly improved as well as some minor optic improvement. It is by far worth the 30 dollars extra to get the USM version.

Ahh, Mike had answered on the second page. Hi Mike :p

I thought I've read things that Addorama is a rip-off? Is that true?

I have never had ay bad dealings with Adorama.

Derrick

etc. I guess they're good to average.

Much better than average, IMO; the best way to lose me as a customer is to fail to communicate, or do it entirely through form emails written and sent by non English speakers. Adorama is quick to get back with the right answer from someone who usually knows what they're talking about - even when you get a form email from them, it's the right one.

I guess I was looking at a different place but I thought it was Adorama.

Most reactions

Back