Going Digital

brklynside

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking to finally make the move into the digital world. I shoot primarily at concerts - mostly smaller venues ranging from about 200 capacity to about 2,000. I actually have what could be a good paying gig coming in late January and I want to grab a digital camera for this experience. I have about $1,000 to spare.

Any thoughts?

For that you can get the digital rebel with the included zoom lens. I don't think there is a better camera under a thousand.

This is the 6.3 megapixel camera? Appears to come with an 18-55mm lens? If so, this looks pretty nice (runs around $900). However, will this be a good camera for in small clubs with not much light? I can usually get fairly close (maybe 10-15 feet away from the artists), but this is the camera I'll be using to try and make some money in concert photography, so I want to make sure I'm making the right purchase. If need be, I'd even consider going slightly higher.

Also, is there any need to wait (i.e., could prices go down, will this camera be dated anytime soon)?

Lastly, and I'm not sure that you'll know this, but I have an IMAC (2000 version); will this work just fine with my computer?

Lastly-squared, do I need to buy some sort of memory card or something?

(As you can see, I know very little about digital cameras.)

Thanks and happy holidays.

i dont want to recommend a camera to ya, cause im biased to the ones we have over here :lol: ... but their also over $1000 (Canon 10D, Olympus E20)

i would look for an SLR, fully manual capabilities (since u want to shoot concerts, i think u will have more control with setting the outcome of the photos as oppose to program mode in shooting in dim light conditions) .. at least a 256 MB compactflash card (i would buy 2 of these) .. 2 sets of rechargable batteries and at some point an external flash unit.

last but not least, i would invest in some kind of photoshop software (or equivalent) :D

Gotta agree with Voodoocat, the digital Rebel is the way to go.
The Rebel is a lower cost version of the 10D with some fewer features but the ISO will still go up to 1600 which should help with low light conditions.
I'm still waiting for the price of the 10D to drop, maybe next week?

Does the Rebel have full manual capabilities?

What are the major differences between the D10 and the Rebel? (And I'm not being lazy, I've done some research...I'm just a bit of a moron.)

brklynside said:
Does the Rebel have full manual capabilities?

What are the major differences between the D10 and the Rebel? (And I'm not being lazy, I've done some research...I'm just a bit of a moron.)

The Rebel is a true SLR so yes it does have full manual capability.
Check out this site: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/
Us morons have to stick together!

So I went to B&H in Manhattan this afternoon and I think I'm on the brink of picking up the new Digital Canon Rebel.

A few questions before actually laying down the credit card:

1. Are there many lenses for this camera? How do digital camera lenses work? Can you use standard SLR lenses that worked for my regular film camera? (I know, might be a dumb question).
2. What sort of accessories will I need (i.e. memory cards, new printer (I have an Epson Stylus 740i), etc.)?
3. Though this has essentially been answered, I figured I'll pose it one more time: This is a good camera for shooting in small clubs, correct? Though I want the camera to be versatile and solid in all areas, I plan on using in work-wise to possibly make a little money shooting bands in small clubs (200-500 capacity). If so, what lens should I look at?
4. I have a 2000 IMac....will this work? Will I need to buy accessories for the connection?

I think that'll do it. Thanks a lot folks.

You will need to buy a memory card at least 256mb. All Canon EOS style lenses will work with a Digital Rebel. There are a ton of lenses available in the EOS format, arguably the most on the market for autofocus lenses.

The camera will work just as good if not better then any other digital SLR camera in a night club. You will prolly be using flash alot if the lighting is dim. The rebel comes with a built in flash, but like every built in flash its not the greatest. You will probably want to buy an aftermarket flash like a Canon 420 or 550 model. They are both very nice flashes that can be set manually or byt the camera for efficient operation. I only mention this because no matter what model you get, the built in flash prolly won't cut it if you are serious about your photography.

Thanks a lot.

Once I pick it up, I'll let you all know how things are working out.

I appreciate all the tips.

It's the lens that matters most in your venue, low lights, bright spots etc. You will need a F2.8 lens for good result, 2.8 is pricey. Keep this in mind when buying stuff. I have a Mac also best machine for photo editing etc.

You can get an EF 50mm f1.8 II. It will be equivelent to and 80mm, will be fast enough for low light especially when combined with a higher ISO setting. It runs about $80.00. You will probably need to go to manual focus in low light, but for price versus quality, this one can't be beat.

Actually if it were me in your shoes, I would just get the body with the 50mm. I have heard more than one person say the 18-55mm is crap.

Steve

Most reactions

Back