Going to attempt a shot...need help b4-please

NikonNewbie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, there is this cemetary next door to my house, and in the cemetary is a large gnarled tree, when it's lit at night you can see a face in the bark (looks like an old man) but during the day the face isn't noticable, it's only noticable because of the spotlight that is positioned beneath the tree and pointing up.
I have a D40, and have that 18-55 lens...
can you guys tell me what I should do to make this picture come out? I have a tripod and I will set it up, but I can't spend a lot of time there as it's a gated cemetary and they usually lock it, or you get a fine if you show up after dusk when it's closed (there is a church on the lot too)
thanks.

Running shoe is your key equipment you really need. That being said, shoot in manual mode. ISO 200, Shutter speed (start at 100) then adjust as needed, f/ 3.5 (also adjust as needed, don't think you will need a tripod because you are not shooting at a slow enough shutter speed to need one. Um.....and bail money if you get caught.:thumbup:

Running shoe is your key equipment you really need. That being said, shoot in manual mode. ISO 200, Shutter speed (start at 100) then adjust as needed, f/ 3.5 (also adjust as needed, don't think you will need a tripod because you are not shooting at a slow enough shutter speed to need one. Um.....and bail money if you get caught.:thumbup:

HA! :lol: Good advice!
so you think I should not bring the tripod then. I'm really concerned about the light that is shining up on the tree...I will write your method down and give it a shot! Thanks!
:thumbup:

I was given a mono pod from a friend, helps with my shaky hands when I cannot bring my tripod, also helps me get off the ground when needed.

Why don't you ask for permission? If they have someone locking the gate, then perhaps you could offer them some cookies or something to let you set up and take the shot. Especially as winter is coming and the days are getting shorter- you could maybe have your shot by 5:30pm without inconveniencing people too much. Be respectful- you're not there to tip over headstones or even film the next Blair Witch, you just want a few shots of that gnarly tree with the spotlight.

With that, though, you want to maybe find some kind of way to simulate that shot and practice with the lighting so you aren't fumbling around in the dark when you do get the chance.

Otherwise, what time do the gates open in the morning? What time does the sun rise? Is there an opportunity there?
J.

Given the time, I would use the tripod, set the camera in aperture priority, use a large aperture & let the camera determine the shutter speed. Check the exposure & if not OK use exposure compensation to adjust. Easy!

Why don't you ask for permission? If they have someone locking the gate, then perhaps you could offer them some cookies or something to let you set up and take the shot. Especially as winter is coming and the days are getting shorter- you could maybe have your shot by 5:30pm without inconveniencing people too much. Be respectful- you're not there to tip over headstones or even film the next Blair Witch, you just want a few shots of that gnarly tree with the spotlight.

With that, though, you want to maybe find some kind of way to simulate that shot and practice with the lighting so you aren't fumbling around in the dark when you do get the chance.

Otherwise, what time do the gates open in the morning? What time does the sun rise? Is there an opportunity there?
J.

No one has ever seen the person who opens or locks the cemetary...I'm almost 100% positive it's a zombie.
(but I'll see if I can find someone and ask :D)
Sun had been rising at about 7:10ish...problem is...can't go in the morning...have a boy who has to get on a bus. I would have to go at night.

How busy is the road?

How busy is the road?
Very busy...and remember I only have a 18-55 lens, there is a sidewalk along the cemetary however, there is a brick wall that is about 4 feet high. I have two different tripods, I have mini one and I have a bigger one that extends about 4' from the ground...the tree is about 20 feet from the sidewalk. would it help if I took a pic from the sidewalk in the daylight first so you can see what it looks like from the sidewalk?

Sometimes we find limitations with our gear.

I'd try to talk with the property owners and explain your intentions. I'd also offer them a print of the image as an incentive.

Did you say an old man in a tree.........

920433063_C69vq-XL.jpg

:biggrin:

Just jump the wall and shoot.

What can they do to you if they see you? If you were going to destroy or steal things it would be different but, for a photo, I wouldn't worry about it. If you get caught, play stupid: "Officer, I would have asked permission but I had no idea who to ask..."

I used to shoot in a cemetery in Paris and the worst they ever did to people there was the rest of the night in jail. Never heard of anyone being prosecuted. And the only reason they took people to jail was because it was very popular at night and they were trying to keep the number of visitors down, lol.

Sometimes we find limitations with our gear.

I'd try to talk with the property owners and explain your intentions. I'd also offer them a print of the image as an incentive.

Did you say an old man in a tree.........

920433063_C69vq-XL.jpg

:biggrin:

LMAO..no you fool...LMAO

Most reactions

Back