Going to spain, new gear needed

zamanakhan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok so i've planned a vacation to spain and will be staying at a resort near the beach. Last year i went to old Quebec city and montreal and brought with me my micro 105 vr, 18-55 and 35 1.8. I pretty much used the 18-55 exclusively set at 18mm for inside of churches. the 105 got no use and the 35 only got pulled out at night time. I brought along my 190xpro B with a head and brought it along on trips as well but i barely used it. JUST WAAAAAAY TOO HEAVY and impractical. This year i am taking with my a sigma 10-20 4-5.6 and the 35 1.8 again. I would like to purchase a new tripod that is lighter and much smaller, I am looking at the 732yb manfrotto. I've looked at it in the store and was not impressed by build quality BUT its LIGHT and SMALL, i also don't need the thing to be rock steady, wont be using it with a telephoto. I also looked that the 390 series and i like them alot but its more $$$ and more weight. The other thing i am considering is possibly buying a 55-200vr or a 70-300G non vr for telephoto, i have a 80-200 2.8 but its waaay too heavy for vacation.

So what am i looking for:

-any thoughts on the 7320 manfrotto tripods or something else i should look at in the same price range, weight and size are KEY considerations, i may be using this tripod on the beach for some long exposures.
-any thoughts on the 70-300g non vr?
-is there any attachment that can let me use a sling bag's strap as camera strap? something similar to the connector or the black rapid system but to be used on a sling bag, not sure if i am going to bring along my lowpro (110?) sling bag or just a regular messenger bag.
-I am also considering some new filters, i have a high quality 77mm polarizer and am now also looking at a good high stop ND filter or a fader.

I am trying to have a budget of about 350, I'd love to buy used but i just cant seem to find used filters.

i am also open to other suggestions, maybe lens suggestions for travel?

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Suggestion 1: Get yourself in better shape. ;)

Suggestion 2: Increase your budget.

Seriously, you're considering buying/taking something like the 55-200 over the 80-200 because the latter is too heavy????? If you're just after good-quality holiday snapshots, than consdier buying something like the Canon G12. A little pricey for stated budget, but it's high-quality, light, and portable.

If you want travel photographs, then you need to be willing to "suffer" with the fact that your gear is going to weigh a bit (In the UAE, 2008 - total gear weight ~45#, average temp 135F) . I would take the 18-55 and the 80-200. Leave the primes at home. Invest in a good backpack bag (NOT a sling) and a good travel tripod, something like the Manfrotto 055 in CF with a 068 head. Spend some time on Craig's List and similar 'sites, bags and tripods are great deals on the used market.

OP
Z

zamanakhan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
already on your first suggestions :)
i used to BOX but gave up on it for a year now. Gained a crap load of weight but I am getting back into shape, running 3miles a day 5 times a week and the 6th day about 2 miles on an eliptical. 15min ab workout then 15 heavy weights. I am hoping to take off about 20#'s before i am off.

I've been looking at some online sites and some pro's took their 80-200's or 70-200's while some took just the 18-200. I dont have either the 18-55 nor do i have the 55-200 nemore, sold them both off with a d5000. I am definitely considering taking the 80-200 2.8 after some gallery views but no way in hell am i dragging the 190x prob B again. I am tempted to buy another 18-55 but i normally stick to the 35mm 1.8 especially more so now since i have a dedicated uwa that i can use indoors (10-20 sigma.)
As for backpack i've also got a lowepro flipside 210 which is what i took to Montreal and Quebec, just found it to be somewhat of a nuisance, it fit everything perfectly in it but getting to the gear, as with any backpack is a pita, So i prefer the sling design, bought the largest and the smallest slings instead.

I've been looking at a 17-55 2.8 from nikon but spending close to a $1000 on a dx lens at the moment is just waaaaay too much for me, although it would be a perfect addition. I cant seem to find an off brand 17-50 2.8 used at a decent price lately either.

Most reactions

New Topics