good, cheap off camera flashes? any ideas

Foxtrot_01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am sorry I’ve been asking so many questions lately and started so many threads but I am very pationate about this and I am trying to learn as much as I can, I have found out that photography is expensive and sometimes buying the most expensive is not the best for what you are going to use it for.
I am trying to get at least 2 off camera flashes, like everyone else I am on a budget since I have to get the radio triggers for them and the stands I am trying to get the best bang for my buck.
I got a suggestion for a vivitar 285Hv used, they run for about $55-65 on ebay, and new for $79(overstock.com with 10% off and shipping included) the vivitar sounds like a good deal used but for $20 more why don’t get it new right? I’ve heard this flash is a work horse too.
So far I’ve been so hyperfocused on the 285Hv but my question is: “is there a good, less expensive(less than $79 new 285Hv) off camera flash that might work as an off camera flash?”
I have a Canon 40D and I just got a nissin Di622(I know is optical slave and doesn’t work with radio triggers unless you mod it, right?). I can use the Nissin as an on camera flash but I am looking for off camera flashes(2 for now).
Any help will be appreciated.
thanks

Village Idiot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Good luck finding anything cheaper. Maybe old Vivitar 383's.

Just make sure it has manual mode and a decent GN. If you find a flash that's $50, it's going to be nearly worthless if it can only fire at full power and has 50% of the power of a 285HV.

Rosshole

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I agree with VI, there is only so much money that you can save... You can though, save money and pick up some cactus triggers for around $35 instead.

OP
Foxtrot_01

Foxtrot_01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
thanks for the advice.
Well,
At overstock I can get two 285Hv for $156($78 each, everyone sells it for $89) so I guess that is not a bad deal for 2 new 285Hv. My next mission will be getting radio triggers, any ideas on a good deal on 2 receivers and 1 transmitter? I’ve seen some on ebay for around $37?
Anything specific I should be looking for on these radio triggers? if Im using the vivitar 285Hv?(I heard the old ones have high voltage but the new ones don’t, If I am getting them new I shouldnt worry about this right?, also I thought it was only harmful for the camera but do I have to worry about high voltage with the radio trigger?)

Village Idiot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
you also need a cable that goes from the trigger to the Vivitar's proprietary sync port for each receiver and flash.

keith foster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.keithdewey3.smugmug.com
Photos OK to edit
I mount my 285 hv's directly into the hotshoe of my PT-04's and they work fine.
I think my PT-04s came with the cable needed to hook to the flash, 1 for each receiver, plus a couple of adapter plugs, just in case you need it.

OP
Foxtrot_01

Foxtrot_01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
you also need a cable that goes from the trigger to the Vivitar's proprietary sync port for each receiver and flash.

I know that the vivitar 285Hv comes with a sync cable, is this what you mean? The recievers also come with a cable.

bennielou

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
You can get a sunpack for about 50 bucks. It doesn't totally suck, but when you can afford something better, you should go for it.

OP
Foxtrot_01

Foxtrot_01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
thanks bennielou, I actually decided to get two vivitar 285Hv, I had a 10% off coupon from overstock.com so total for two 285Hv's was around $155.xx with shipping so I think it was a good deal for new flashes, I've heard these things are work horses and have been around for about 2 decades, I just need to get the radio triggers(the fotga's on ebay are $35) and the flash stand w/umbrellas are $98(kit) at B&H(these seem better than the cowboy kit). man this is a very expensive hobby:lol:

Rosshole

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
thanks bennielou, I actually decided to get two vivitar 285Hv, I had a 10% off coupon from overstock.com so total for two 285Hv's was around $155.xx with shipping so I think it was a good deal for new flashes, I've heard these things are work horses and have been around for about 2 decades, I just need to get the radio triggers(the fotga's on ebay are $35) and the flash stand w/umbrellas are $98(kit) at B&H(these seem better than the cowboy kit). man this is a very expensive hobby:lol:

All hobbies are expensive when you start to get more into them.

table1349

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score

If you could find a couple of Sunpak 383's used they would also be a good choice. Same guide number as the 285 with a faster recycle time.

OP
Foxtrot_01

Foxtrot_01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
It is an expensive hobby!! I dont mind spending the money, like all hobbyist, I just wish I had more money to spend :lol:
thanks for all the great advice.

Enem178

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kwaltonphotography.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
I guess the vivitar's don't use the standard 3.5mm sync cable, so does anybody know the size? I want to know if there is an adapter I can buy so they work with the Yongnuo Rf-602 sync cables.

NEVER MIND!!

I found a pic on the net and I dont see how I would be able to use these flashes with out buying more cables (at least). I think ill do more research on the Df 283 or the Df 383 digital ttl. Do these speedlights have manual controls??? Thanks!!

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics