Good or Bad Deal?

chrisk121

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is related to the eBay purchases thread but I never got any answers there so here I am!

I've never bought anything off eBay or online. I found what I think is a good deal on one of the recommended stores. It's called Cameta Camera. I was looking at getting a Rebel XT but I kind of want to spend a little extra on this.
what do you guys think? How should I pay?(I live in Edmonton, Canada).

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Canon-EOS-30D-Dig...QQcmdZViewItem

Oh and if it expires before anyone sees it it was a

Useful Parts
Canon 30D Body
Tamron 28-80 f/3.5-5.6
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro

Might Be Useful Parts
Transcend2GB 120x High Speed CompactFlash™ Card
BP-511 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack
Deluxe SLR Pro Carrying Case

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would stick with name brand stores, i.e. adorama, B&H, Calumet, Hunts. I have heard bad stories about buying from unknown companies especially if they are NY based, nothing against NY but there are many questionable online camera stores based out of NY.

Hi Chrisk121, Sorry not to have gotten to your other post. I don't recall having heard anything bad about Cameta Cameras before now. I considered them before I went with Calumet. If you click on the right side of the e-bay page where it says view sellers site, you should be able to find that exact deal or several others if you would like some other combination.

As far as payment goes, credit card or Pay-Pal either, ask them.

mike

Another Edmontonian, welcome aboard.

Cameta seems to have a good E-bay reputation...I've checked their prices many times but never bought anything there. I have been using B&H for most of my purchases.

You can save quite a bit by getting the XTi rather than the 30D...but the 30D is a different camera. If you haven't already...go into a store, like McBain, and hold both cameras. The Rebel is smaller and laid out quite differently. When I got my first DSLR, I went with the 20D over the Rebel XT because it felt so much better in my hands.

As for how you should pay...Paypal is the way to go when buying from E-bay. If you order from B&H etc., you can use Paypal or a credit card etc.

The actual retail Cameta Cameras is located not far from me. It should be perfectly safe, unless the e-Bay user is just fronting as Cameta.

Another Edmontonian, welcome aboard.

Cameta seems to have a good E-bay reputation...I've checked their prices many times but never bought anything there. I have been using B&H for most of my purchases.

You can save quite a bit by getting the XTi rather than the 30D...but the 30D is a different camera. If you haven't already...go into a store, like McBain, and hold both cameras. The Rebel is smaller and laid out quite differently. When I got my first DSLR, I went with the 20D over the Rebel XT because it felt so much better in my hands.

As for how you should pay...Paypal is the way to go when buying from E-bay. If you order from B&H etc., you can use Paypal or a credit card etc.

Yeah, I went to McBain and held both. I really like the 30D, but it's a bit out of my price range. I was looking at getting the Rebel XT kit from costco

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10299517&whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA|79|83&N=4008715&Mo=30&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=83&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1〈=en-CA&Sp=C&topnav=

Rebel XT Body, Siver
EF 55 – 200 mm F4.5 – F5.6
EF-S 18 – 55 mm
F3.5 – F5.6

$969

Or getting the following from Mcbain

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT body only $649.00[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sigma AF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$549.00

Total is around $1200

Are there any other good photography shops around here?
[/FONT]

I hope you saw my post. If it's the same Cameta Camera (again, based in NY), it's a real, living, breathing, brick and mortar store not far from me.

I've bought a couple of fairly high dollar lenses in the past from them in different auctions. Both times I had positive experiences. No problems with the transaction on either end. Lenses were new as described w/o any flaws. Even came w/ a bag of candy :) What more can you ask for ... I mean, it's free candy :)

I bought a D80 from Cameta. Everything was flawless. I ordered it a couple of days before and they delivered it in time for Christmas, right when they said they would. I had a little problem with my credit card and they were patient and helpful. I would recommend them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back