Good small entry - mid level camera for travel photography?

ParceroPaisa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if someone could recommend some good small / compact entry to mid level cameras for travel photography?

I was looking at the Canon EOS 100D. Opinions on this camera or others? A buddy on facebook was posting pictures taken with
a Sony NEX-3N +SIGMA 30mm 2.8 which looked pretty good. What type of camera is that? Edit* I like the look of the Sony NEX-5T.

Thanks

Last edited:
The Nikon D5200 or D5100 if you can afford it would be a better choice, or the beginner Nikon D3200 or D3100 though you might grow out of them too quickly, Nikon has better image quality and feature than Canon at the moment.

John.

The Nikon D5200 or D5100 if you can afford it would be a better choice, or the beginner Nikon D3200 or D3100 though you might grow out of them too quickly, Nikon has better image quality and feature than Canon at the moment.

John.

Agreed, the D3200 is relatively small for a DSLR, is very resonable priced and while is at the bottom on Nikon DSLR range is a pretty potent tool for picture taking, the I also agree if you can afford it the D5200 is same size and a better camera.
Canon is not a bad option but it is still pumping out same old sensor which while is still very capable is showing its ripe age especially in low light situation.

I think I am leaning more towards the compact system cameras (CSC). I just want something a step above point and shoot cameras that take good photos.

Any recommendations on which CSC is the best for the money?

Have a look at the Olympus EPL-5. Small camera, small lenses. Well received by reviews

John.

Agreed, the D3200 is relatively small for a DSLR, is very resonable priced and while is at the bottom on Nikon DSLR range is a pretty potent tool for picture taking, the I also agree if you can afford it the D5200 is same size and a better camera.

the D3100 is TINY.

Hi Parcero,

I am a Panasonic micro 4/3 video guy, but for stills I recommend the larger DSLR-sized APS-C sensor cameras from Fuji, Sony or Samsung. The camera bodies are just as compact (although the lenses are larger) and they will generally give you better performance in low light.

Best in the APS-C "no viewfinder" compact class is the $728 Fuji X-M1 with the X-trans sensor. This is a fabulous travel camera capable of producing images like these.

If that's above your budget limit, the next step down is the $599 Fuji X-A1 with a standard Bayer sensor. This camera will be released next week, so there aren't many sample images online, but here is a good side-by-side with the X-M1 (with sample images).

I am assuming that if you want the ease-of-use of a point and shoot, you want a built-in flash? If so, I would stay away from the $698 Sony NEX-5T - which is an otherwise fine camera.

If the Fujis are outside of your budget range, I recommend the $448 Sony NEX-3N with the built-in flash. It doesn't have wi-fi, but if you've never had it, you won't miss it. Here is the image quality you can expect from this camera.

Samsung makes some nice cameras in this class, but they all lack a built-in flash.

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your decision!

Bill

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
the D3100 is TINY.

It's all relative, Braineack. The D3100 is "tiny" compared a full frame camera perhaps. But it is massive when compared to a Sony NEX-3N with the same sized sensor.

It is 13% wider, 55% taller, 117% thicker and weighs 88% more.

Cheers,

Bill

the D3100 is TINY.

It's all relative, Braineack. The D3100 is "tiny" compared a full frame camera perhaps. But it is massive when compared to a Sony NEX-3N with the same sized sensor.

It is 13% wider, 55% taller, 117% thicker and weighs 88% more.

Cheers,

Bill

And the Sony NEX-3N is also huge compared to my Samsung Galaxy cell phone camera. Of course it's all relative; especially when comparing a mirrored DLSR to a mirrorless. I said it because it was mentioned and I own one. The first thing I noticed with it when I bought it was how tiny it was compared to even my D40.

I recently did a trip with my D3100 with a 17-70 f/2.8 and the girth/weight of the lens made it a little tough compared to when I have my 35mm 1.8 attached. But I was able to buy one of those cheap camera sleeves on ebay for it that barely fit, tossed it in my carry on bag and didn't really have many issues with it. With that in mind, if I had to do it again I'd probably prefer to something like that Sony, so long as the lens attached is still relavitely small/light, but I was really happy with the pictures I took that week.

One HUGE negative was it was nearly impossible to find someone that could operate the nikon to be able to take a picture of my wife and I even in auto mode; no one uses a viewfinder anymore.

One HUGE negative was it was nearly impossible to find someone that could operate the nikon to be able to take a picture of my wife and I even in auto mode; no one uses a viewfinder anymore.

So true, and so sad.

So true, and so sad.

I was in Seattle after my Alaska cruise a couple weeks ago and was walking around Pike Place Market before my flight. I had my D7000 around my neck grabbing a few last shots before the tour bus came to take us to the airport. I think I was asked at least 8-10 times to take a pic of a hubby/wifw/kids in front of this or that using their dslr. Dont know if i should feel honered or i was the only dope who understood how to use a dslr to take their pic for them. Either way i guess i did my good deed for the day. :)

So true, and so sad.

ugh. My bad grammar. facepalm.

should read: ...that could operate the nikon to be able to take a picture of me and my wife, even in auto mode.

Sorry, you said a step above P&S, why wouldnt you consider P&S ?

My second body is a P&S and its a fantastic camera designed especially for photography fans who want a small body camera with all and I ALL the options that a basic DSLR gives you and more.

It will give you full control like Apature mode, Shutter speed, Full Manual or Auto if you feel lazy.
It shoots in RAW or of course JPEG
Its got a VERY fast lens 1.8-2.8
I use it up to 3200 ISO if I need to but with such a fast lens most of the time I dont need to go this high with my ISO

Its the Canon G15 and now the G16 came out which is basically a G15 with few tweeks but same hardware.
The pictures I get on this little beauty are wonderful, very close to my D7100 but I admit most of the time my dear wife uses it but when I do take it its a great little camera.

Of course I'm gonna jump on the Olympus bandwagon and say a micro 4/3 camera is something to try. I'm a fan of the OM-D, but they aren't cheap.

To add another point of view, I've been extremely pleased with my Canon EOS-M as a travel camera. I travel alot and take it with me everywhere.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back