Good walk around lens

jmanc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, new here. I am wanting to get some ideas as to what "all around" lens I should get. I currently have a 30D with a 17-85/ 4-5.6 and a 50/ 1.8.

I'm pretty happy with the body and will probably upgrade later but wanted to focus on glass instead. Even some L lenses if not too expensive.
What about Sigma and Tamron. Heard good things about their 17-50's.

The Tamron 17-50 2.8 (non VC/IS) is a good walk around lens and very good value for money. However, it is for crop DSLRs, so if your plan for upgrading include a full frame at some point, it won't be useful.

Let's back up a moment.

You said you have a 30D with a 17-85 lens. That basically is a general purpose "walking around" lens. So I'm wondering what you're missing that is driving you to look for another lens. Are you not happy with the image quality? The focal ratio?

When I do upgrade bodies, it will either be 7D or whatever success it.

TCampbell said:
Let's back up a moment.

You said you have a 30D with a 17-85 lens. That basically is a general purpose "walking around" lens. So I'm wondering what you're missing that is driving you to look for another lens. Are you not happy with the image quality? The focal ratio?

I'm looking to upgrade the 17-85 to something a little better and I plan on keeping that lens as long as possible.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back