Good walkaround lens?

Lightsped

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a D7000 and a D3100. I am looking for a good walkaround lens for these cameras. I currently have the 18-55mm kit lens which is decent, but I would like to get something a little more durable. I recently bought the 105mm 2.8 Macro and love that lens because of its weight and durability. Is there a decent metal lens that would be a good walkaround lens for about the same price (or less) than the 105mm 2.8 Macro? I would like to have some zoom capabilty, but don't need anything outrageous. Again, this would be a walkabout lens.

Thanks

snowbear

Fuzzy, wuzzy Nanuq
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I enjoy my 18-135 kit lens on my D40. When I don't have it (my son borrows it a lot) I typically throw on a 50mm f/1.8 or a 24mm f/2.8, depending on my mood. If you want to go "old school", get a 35mm, which will give you the view angle of a 50mm on your crop bodies.

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
My walk around lens is the Nikon 24-85mm VR.
A very sharp FX lens.

D-B-J

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Just bought a Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, and it's awesome! Definitely a good walk around lens.

480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
A 105mm prime (macro notwithstanding) would be a bit 'long' for most walkabout shooting, especially on a crop sensor.

Tailgunner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
It all depends, If I was walking around NYC example, I would opt for a Nikon 12-24mm. If I was wondering around more sprawled out places, I would probably opt for a 18-200.

sashbar

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a D7000 and a D3100. I am looking for a good walkaround lens for these cameras. I currently have the 18-55mm kit lens which is decent, but I would like to get something a little more durable.
Thanks

Mikkor 16-85 definitely is more durable and has an excellent range for a DX walkabout lense.

Tailgunner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
.....If I was walking around NYC and wanted to get mugged, I would opt for a Nikon 12-24mm.........

FIFY. :lol:

Oh, He will be fine, just carry some pepper spray...that and dress like a bum, that's how I role walking around Downtown Dallas :D

Anyhow, a fifty would work too.

Most reactions

ClickASnap

New Topics