Got a pretty awesome gig setup today.

Blake.Oney

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Basically there's a club that will be doing rock shows, dancing, party type events, and all kinds of things opening up in my town. They contacted me today and wanted to meet. When I got down there I was expecting them to ask me to do some shots for a band, but they actually wanted me to shoot all of their events at a set price per event. They wanted to know if I could lower my event pricing some for them since it will be a 1 every other week at least and 2-3 times a week at most type of deal. I worked it out with them and now I get to do that. I think it will be a lot fun.

Does anyone else here do that kind of thing, or have a deal similar worked out? How did you set it up?

What are you charging per event? What rights does each party have with the shots? Do they just get free use but you retain copyright?

As indicated above, definitely make sure that you have a contract which firmly establishes who holds copyright, usage, etc for the images. If there's enough work, than a fixed-price system might work. To be honest though, I would not agree to anything long-term until they've been around long enough to establish themselves.

What you could do would be to ask them how much they're willing to offer per week, and then tell them that will buy them 'X' hours of your time behind the camera, and they can decide where they want the most coverage.

Basically there's a club that will be doing rock shows, dancing, party type events, and all kinds of things opening up in my town. They contacted me today and wanted to meet. When I got down there I was expecting them to ask me to do some shots for a band, but they actually wanted me to shoot all of their events at a set price per event. They wanted to know if I could lower my event pricing some for them since it will be a 1 every other week at least and 2-3 times a week at most type of deal. I worked it out with them and now I get to do that. I think it will be a lot fun.

Does anyone else here do that kind of thing, or have a deal similar worked out? How did you set it up?

Free cover + free food + free drinks = free pictures

That's my ideal contract for a good bar with decent music.

Yeah, til they wonder why all the pics are blurry, or you spill your beer all over your gear. Instead of labeling IS in terms of stops, they should label it in terms of beers. HAHA. "Up to 10 beers worth of IS"

Picked up a flash yet? Didn't see it in your Sig.. I'd suggest one. Especially in a dark club and taking pics of the people there.

Maybe a Strob and wireless TTL so you and make a room flash?

That would be sweet until you go overboard on the free drinks and end up smashing your camera and passing out in a pool of your own vomit. At least, that's what i would do :confused:

Yea I'm getting ready to order either a Lumopro Lp160 and A Yongnuo YN560, or just one SB600, or the Nissin equivalent to the SB800. I'm leaning more toward the two manual flash setup because it will be a stationary setup most of the time. Anyone see any reason to go with one of the other flashes with i-ttl over the two flash manual setup?

With a d3000, once you go off camera with it, it'll become a manual flash anyways. No TTL off camera with d3000

I know that, but I'm thinking having a manual flash on camera would be really annoying. I don't really know, though because I've never done it and I'm sure there would be some situations where I use it on camera.

Yeah, thats the reason I went with an sb600 for my first flash. I didn't want to deal with having a manual on camera flash for my first.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back