Got A Speedlight & Fondled A Tamron 150-600mm

Cortian

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Picked up a used, but looks new, Canon 430EX II, incl. pouch, stand and little diffuser, today, from a local camera store. (Good price, too, based on Adorama's prices for used E+ product..) Played with it a bit when I got home. As I expected: I can see flash photography will be a whole different ball o' wax.

They had a Tamron 150-600mm G2 lens out and on a Nikon body to show another customer. Got to fondle it a bit. My fear such a lens might be unwieldy in my hands was unfounded. I found it quite nice to use. Looking forward to getting my own, some day.

Cortian, now you can make pictures instead of taking them. We work in light and you can now modify or create it. Learn to bounce light off walls. The ceiling is the next best and straight on only for fill. Ceiling can put the eye sockets in shadow, straight on is shadowless, flat. Think circle on a piece of paper as opposed to shading one side making a ball. By bouncing you place shadows and create the third dimension.

Yeah, a speedlight opens up many new avenues in exposure,and types of images that can be made successfully. Good for you, cortian!

Picked up a used, but looks new, Canon 430EX II, incl. pouch, stand and little diffuser, today, from a local camera store. (Good price, too, based on Adorama's prices for used E+ product..) Played with it a bit when I got home. As I expected: I can see flash photography will be a whole different ball o' wax.

They had a Tamron 150-600mm G2 lens out and on a Nikon body to show another customer. Got to fondle it a bit. My fear such a lens might be unwieldy in my hands was unfounded. I found it quite nice to use. Looking forward to getting my own, some day.
I love my 150-600 G1 and will upgrade to the G2 at some point. It is one of my favorite lenses.

About that Tamron: The local camera store is going to be offering a seminar come mid-May, followed by a field trip to a local park, where we'll meet a guide who'll show us where the eagles hang out. "But I don't really have a good birding lens," I noted, and the guy replies "Well, there you go," and motioned toward the Tamron.

My wife is now worried they'll "talk me into" one of those lenses at the seminar. And she knows, oh, she knows, it wouldn't take much
lol.gif

Thing is: Between one thing and another we (read "I") have been kinda footloose and fancy-free with the finances since I retired, and we (*cough* I) gotta put the breaks on, eventually. So, much as I think I'd love to have one of those, it may have to wait a while.

Get a remote cable for the flash, so it is not stuck on top of your camera.
That way you can move the flash away from the camera, and still use the TTL function.

And welcome to the flash club.

Get a remote cable for the flash, so it is not stuck on top of your camera.
That way you can move the flash away from the camera, and still use the TTL function.
Ha! I got a while pile of stuff queued-up to leverage that one speedlight:

Canon ST-E2 Transmitter

(The following from the thread Lighting Starter Kit...(Please Advise))

Softbox Umbrella Reflective 42inch
$30

Light Stand 10ft Spring Cushioned Heavy Duty Photo Video New By PBL
$30

Neewer S-Type Bracket Holder with Bowens Mount for Speedlite Flash
$15

(The following from the threads Hornets and bees and Are flash modifiers recommended?)

Movo Photo SB6 Universal Cloth Softbox Flash Diffuser with Elastic Mounting for External Camera Flashes (Size: Mini)
$8

Rogue Photographic Design ROGUERELG2 FlashBender 2 Large Reflector
$40

I may ultimately decide to get a Canon 580EX II, instead of the ST-E2. Then I'd have on-camera flash and the 430EX II off-camera, which the 580EX II can fire. I don't know as I'll do that much studio-type work, though, so probably not.

I also stopped into a local fabric and crafts store a couple weeks ago and picked up the materials for this: the 15 second DIY adjustable snoot!. I just gotta remember where the heck I put them
lol.gif

And welcome to the flash club.
Thanks!

Right now I've a bunch of other distractions that are putting a crimp in my photography time, so I'll likely play with this flash a bit and set it aside for now. Eventually I'll explore it in more depth. I bought it now because my local camera place had it now, and for a good price.

I may buy that mini softbox right away, though. It's only $8 and I'd like to see what I can do with that an my macro lens.

Last edited:
The mini-softbox will be useful for macro subjects...I used to use one, and found it very useful on close-range flower shots,using an SC-17 TTL cord from Nikon, a 1-meter pigtailed flash-to-camera cord. For $8, it's a fun accessory. Today, affordable triggering solutions exist, but the old-fashioned cord works well too.

You will really like the umbrella boxes from Steve Kaeser Enterprises! I have these...they're nice. Softbox Umbrella Reflective 42inch

Most reactions

New Topics

Back