Got Barrel Distortion?

fmw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.foodieforums.com
You do if you have one of these. My wife presented me with this early Christmas present this morning. Good girl. I'll look for some suitable subjects for the new toy this weekend.

nikkor10.jpg

Mmmmmm tasty 10.5mm goodness!

Ugh I am jeleous that is the lens I want... Just cant afford it right now

Ripnowell45 said:
Ugh I am jeleous that is the lens I want... Just cant afford it right now
me too. I really wanted to get it before snowboard season, but that already hasn't happened...

Thanks guys. Well, it isn't an architectural lens to be sure. When I finished the day's work it was cold and dark so I made the first test exposures at the entrance to my kitchen. You can see in top image that straight lines remain straight in the center of the frame. But pan the camera a touch and it's barrel distortion city as in the lower image. This going to be fun. BTW, my camera lens was only about 6 inches from the wall.

fisheyekitchen.jpg

I posted some shots in the general gallery under "fisheye day." Here's another one.

liberty_2.jpg

Fun stuff. Do NOT take pictures of loved ones with that thing, they will NOT forgive you for their new butt.

markc said:
Dang! The barrel distortion is so extreme it makes the Statue of Liberty look smaller than that building.

Okay, I need a life.

And I'll bet you're still wondering how I got both subjects in the same frame with the same curvilinear distortion, aren't you?

Iron Flatline said:
Fun stuff. Do NOT take pictures of loved ones with that thing, they will NOT forgive you for their new butt.

It would be an intimate relationship for sure. I was only about 10-12 inches from the base of the statue. It would be space-invading people photography to be sure.

Most reactions

Back