Got my new lens today!

bevoholic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stephenanthonyphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It was a little bit late getting here, but it's here. It was supposed to be here on Friday but it got delayed. Unboxed my brand new 50mm f/1.8 today. It's not AF with my camera, but that's fine. I'll be posting up some pictures tomorrow. Gonna try to get some shots of my daughter.

I recently got the 50mm f/1.4 and am still getting used to it... I really wanted it but now I am frustrated because I am not sure *when* to use it. Any pointers YOU might have would be appreciated. :sexywink:

one speedlight is all you need. If you can spring for a reflector it would help, but there is a ton you can do with just one light. I've used multiple lights quite a bit, but always seem to go back to simple one light setups. Its fast and easy to set up, and if done right, will give you a great portrait.

When to use a 50mm????? All the time!!!!...there are enthusiasts that won't even take that lens off their camera. It is "said" that 50mm is the closest that resembles what the eye would see naturally. If you need to zoom, use your feet!!!!...lol

according to ups tracking, my new wide angle should be here tomorrow!

Just a heads up to the OP.....being able to shoot at f/1.8 is REALLY cool....... but REALLY easy to abuse. Remember that this lens (in my experience) is going to be the sharpest in the f/5.6 - f/8 range, and just because you CAN shoot at f/1.8 doesn't necessarily mean you should unless the shot calls for it.

It's a hell of a lens though, probably the best $125 you will ever spend on gear.

I agree that this is the most fantastic lens you will get for that price, heck it is better than some of the lenses that are four or five times the price. I love my 1.8. They are right though, it is VERY easy to abuse the 1.8 capability lol. It doesn't auto-focus on the D5000?? Interesting. Have fun with it!!! You won't regret your purchase!~

one speedlight is all you need. If you can spring for a reflector it would help, but there is a ton you can do with just one light. I've used multiple lights quite a bit, but always seem to go back to simple one light setups. Its fast and easy to set up, and if done right, will give you a great portrait.

When to use a 50mm????? All the time!!!!...there are enthusiasts that won't even take that lens off their camera. It is "said" that 50mm is the closest that resembles what the eye would see naturally. If you need to zoom, use your feet!!!!...lol

How would you recommend I set up the lighting?

How would you recommend I set up the lighting?

Correctly. ;)

It really depends on what you're after. There are different setups that will be best for different subjects. I was given some priceless information from a forum member here regarding one-light setups.... If I can find the link, I will post it. The site went through many different scenarios, and why each one would be beneficial. it's not a lot to read, but it is certainly a lot to practice. [zips off like a bolt to find the link]

[zips back with link in hand] Here is a page from the blog that was referenced. This link is courtesy of Kundalini.

http://tips.romanzolin.com/articles/article011.php#Butterfly

After looking at the lighting schemes, go back and read through the blog. Lots and lots of great information.

Last edited:
It is "said" that 50mm is the closest that resembles what the eye would see naturally.

That's true only on FF or film. On a crop it's telephoto. "Normal" perspective on a crop body would be 30mm or 35mm.

I disagree! A 50-55mm lens keeps the image close to what the eye sees regardless of crop factor. The field of view changes not whether the image looks closer or further away.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back