Got my train in HDR after all - using one RAW image..

ottor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This post kinna begins with my "Color on the Rails" post earlier.. (How do you link a post??) Anyway - Train cops chased me away before I could get an HDR shot of some train cars and grafitti.. I took a shot at creating a suedo-HDR shot from the only image I was able to get before getting chased off... Here's my result - original and HDR .. Didn't want to 'overprocess', but just capture some better contrast ...

Original

3783070725_6c795c03a8_b.jpg

HDR - kinna

3797077730_cc981d3782_b.jpg

It seems like it added a dark and gloomy aspect to it. My eyes go to the left where there is a really strange transition in the clouds in the sky. I like the first one IMO, sorry.

I did have a concern that it ended up too dark, but then again, I liked the warmth it added to the tracks/dirt.. Still up for tweaking.. :mrgreen:

I like everything except that transition on the left. Too extreme. I like the warmth of it though.

I like the darker second one for it's warmth and mood.
My concern is your leading lines lead you to the bright white train car ends. Which in the first image, they kinda blend with the sky more. I don't mind whats going on in the sky in the second one, but the bright white just draws you down there, and they are not interesting. So I think you lose the value of the graffiti as your "subject", which holds my eye beter in the first image.

I like the new edit better. The stuff going on at the end of the cars doesn't bother me. I usually don't like HDR images but this one isn't a true HDR so it doesn't seem as processed as others I've seen.

*head desk* At the risk of sounding like a grammar nazi: It's tone-mapping, in this case, and not HDR.

It doesn't look like an HDR to me. For good reason, since it's not one. However, it just looks over saturated, and nothing more.

Sorry...

The original looked better, I would go back and work on that without over-doing it.

The blown out cars to the left are in both, but with the emphasized colours, my eye tends to get drawn more to those cars in the second one.

I like the first one better as well.

*head desk* At the risk of sounding like a grammar nazi: It's tone-mapping, in this case, and not HDR.

Yes and no. It is tone-mapping, however, it is strictly-speaking an HDR image since it does have a higher-than-normal dynamic range.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back