Got this for xmas but...

rmphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i got a new body for xmas:

cam.jpg

but ive noticed it seems to be very sensitive to cold.
its happened a couple times when ive been out... i drive somewhere to shoot some photos, and its dead... after it warms up back at home, i press the reset buton and everything is fine...

any ideas? is this normal?

"I got a new body for xmas"

As a man, I guess that's every woman's dream (scarper for cover! ;)#

Your new body looks really really sexy and cool. If I'm not mistaken, it's a Contax 167MT with a 50mm f1.7 Planar lens. Of course it is ;)

The Planar 50mm f1.7 is reported to be the sharpest lens in its class (of 50mm prime lenses) back in the 1990's when reviewed by major photographic publications.

The battery problem you are describing is probably because you are operating in conditions approaching -20C where the rest of us freeze at 0C.

A new battery won't last long in such adverse conditions; that is why an external battery power pack was made for the Contax 167MT. They crop up on ebay and second-hand dealers. Called the P-5? or P-6? or something. It attaches to the base of the camera instead of the usual base plate and provides a direct current in addition to the battery current from the camera's battery. This is useful for freezing conditions.

There was a lot of information about this camera and its battery pack on the www.contaxinfo.com site before it started to ask people for money and shut its doors to most Contax users. I don't use these cameras either but I remember it with fondness.

You've had a great camera for Christmas - this one will last. The only reason why it might not, is because you decide to add an Aria, then an RXII, then a RTSIII and an army of Carl Zeiss lenses ;)

ah dont worry its alrady begun, i got about 7 lenses already.

anyways, i realyy like this body, its so much fun to use.

about the temp thing... in vancouver its about 6c at the moment. (it never gets even close to -20 here... heck we dont even get snow)
so im not sure if its the temp or maybe humidity?... in any case i think ill look into getting a p-5 or p-6.
i looked them up and there are advised for this cam. especially because it relocates the tripod hole. which on the body is so far to the left its rediculous.

any other ideas before i bring it in?

rmphoto said:
any other ideas before i bring it in?

Maybe there's a slightly loose electrical contact somewhere, and the temperature change is just enough to disconnect it? I doubt vancouver weather would be harsh enough to cause battery failures. You have tried a new battery though, right?

This is one reason why any Contax lover would probably died for an affair with the RTSIII (before moving on to whopping large format). The RTSIII could take 2 different battery internal battery sources and an external power supply. Or perhaps the S2 as well - the fully mechanical camera which never froze; lasted in the artic tundra, a little short of being 30 years late to go to the moon like a Hassleblad.

Your battery may also not be the freshest of sorts, although it is quite like the 167MT to pack it in during the cold. Didn't realise Vancouver was so warm in winter. An S2 would be a perfect back-up camera for the 167MT maybe but as you've just got the 167MT, save it for later.

Avoid using the B setting if you can. 16 seconds is a long time for an electronic shutter to hold open during the freezing cold. Can't think of any other Contax forum to recommend to you - sorry.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back