grad school

nabero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I've been waiting to hear back from graduate programs. Trying to hold on to the bits of my sanity that still exist...

Is anyone in a grad program right now? Is anyone else in the process of applying? Any advice on not going crazy? Hugs?

:banghead:

(btw...I just received first official word from one school...booooooo)

what do you want to go to grad school for?

I'm applying to 9 English MA programs...starting off with a rejection.

I think I need chocolate...

i applied to six schools last year. i was wait listed at all but suny stony brook who rejected me flat out, the next four rejected me much later. lol

nc state accepted me on a non-thesis option (id have to pay) so i said no. im current regretting that decision.

im sorry you started off with a rejection. good luck to you!!!

thanks :) i'm trying to stay positive...but I can't help but freak out because I don't have a "Plan B".

what were you going to go for?

I am a current PhD student in Psychology. I applied to 25 schools, yes thats right, 25. They tell you to apply to a lot of programs though because it is tough to get in, especially since they pay for your tuition because you work at the school too. I ended up at a private school though, so I have to pay.

I applied to 6, got rejected by 2 (my long-shots, including one where I applied to the wrong program, sigh), visited 2, and went to my original first choice.

thanks :) i'm trying to stay positive...but I can't help but freak out because I don't have a "Plan B".

what were you going to go for?

i applied to study air/sea interactions with a focus on tropical forcing and intraseasonal variability.

i was totally bummed because my advisor told me without a doubt id get in to at least half the schools i applied to. imagine my shock when i didnt.

you should start getting your plan B ready, just in case.

Thanks (G)K! :hug::

i was totally bummed because my advisor told me without a doubt id get in to at least half the schools i applied to. imagine my shock when i didnt.

you should start getting your plan B ready, just in case.
Yeah...in a similar vein...my professors actually approached me about applying and have been very supportive--even saying "I'd be shocked if you don't get multiple offers". So...I'll be shocked and embarrassed.

I'm trying to think of a plan b...right now all I can think is to try to get a better job, study and re-take the gre and try it again next year :er:

goonies never say die!

(im sorry, i had to. it's just so fitting!!!)

if it makes you feel any better, i was in a weird position. i didnt know what i wanted to do until it was rather late. so i spent my time forecasting rather than researching... and when research possibilities popped up, i was already graduating... so it goes!

now im attempting to do research on my own time with a professor at the university of miami. its giong VERY slowly, but he's a godsend!

I'm in grad school for planning. I only applied to one program, and they accepted me because they needed students, not because of my qualifications. I'm certain of that.

School doesn't start until August (or later). You've still got lots of time.

Where have you applied?

Where have you applied?

I applied to: Ohio State University, Ohio University, University of Washington (Seattle), University of Illinois- Urbana Champaign, Loyola University Chicago, University of Pennsylvania, Temple University, University of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon University.

While not all of the programs I applied to are the tip-top tier, they are all fairly competitive. The acceptance rates for English Master's programs are insane...University of Pennsylvania accepts 3-5 each year out of hundreds of applicants (others admit 10-40ish). It's so subjective...you can be academically perfect, with sound writing samples and glowing recommendations...but if they have such a large pool...it doesn't take much to get tossed :(

I applied to: Ohio State University, Ohio University, University of Washington (Seattle), University of Illinois- Urbana Champaign, Loyola University Chicago, University of Pennsylvania, Temple University, University of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon University.

While not all of the programs I applied to are the tip-top tier, they are all fairly competitive. The acceptance rates for English Master's programs are insane...University of Pennsylvania accepts 3-5 each year out of hundreds of applicants (others admit 10-40ish). It's so subjective...you can be academically perfect, with sound writing samples and glowing recommendations...but if they have such a large pool...it doesn't take much to get tossed :(

3-10 is about what all the psychology programs accept. Hence why we were told to apply to so many schools. Are you academically perfect? :)

3-10 is about what all the psychology programs accept. Hence why we were told to apply to so many schools. Are you academically perfect? :)

Haha...no. I have a 3.6 overall, and a 3.9 in my major. I'm an awful at standardized tests and flubbed the gre pretty fiercely (610V, 520 A)...not even going to get into the subject test :blushing:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back