grad school

Everyone in psych talks about the subject test like it is from the abyss. One girl, president of our honor society and a straight 4.0 student, actually walked out because it was so difficult.

The school that I am at now didn't require GRE's, which is awesome, because I'm not so hot at standardized tests either. I scored about the same as you, but I had a 3.7 overall and a 4.0 in major. They took me on teachers recommendations and my research history. :)

Did you attend a big name school as an undergrad? I've been wondering if it makes much of a difference...

I'm confident that my letters of rec. were pretty solid...I'm just down to crossing fingers and toes that something I wrote struck someone on the committee...

I went to the top psychology school in the southeast. We had one of the biggest research departments and pulled the most research money in the southeast. So, yeah, I guess that helps that I had research experience at a top research school.

To be honest, I didn't know that English MA programs were so competitive.

I didn't realize they were as competitive as they are until I started the process. I decided to apply to MA programs exclusively because I thought my changes were much better than if I applied to PhD programs...but it hasn't proven to be all that true for me!

If I don't get in, I'm going to have to figure out a way to really set myself out from the pack next "season" :p

I was told by my professors that masters programs were harder because more people would rather do a MA than put the time and effort into a PhD. I obviously don't know if this applies to English, but ya never know.

I am sure you will get in somewhere. Otherwise I don't know what to tell you, I know that for research like me and Beth you get some research experience, but I don't know about English programs. Maybe write a novel? ;)

Well it isn't quite time to start applying for grad school for me yet but I'm sure there is at least one school I could get into (not that I'd want to go to the same school for my graduate work...) I've had several teachers approach me telling me that I should be considering grad school and several people yell at me when I said I probably wasn't going to apply... Math isn't exactly the same level of competitive as other majors not that it is easy to get in but it isn't anywhere near as difficult due to the lower numbers of applicants.

Well it isn't quite time to start applying for grad school for me yet but I'm sure there is at least one school I could get into (not that I'd want to go to the same school for my graduate work...) I've had several teachers approach me telling me that I should be considering grad school and several people yell at me when I said I probably wasn't going to apply... Math isn't exactly the same level of competitive as other majors not that it is easy to get in but it isn't anywhere near as difficult due to the lower numbers of applicants.
i dont think thats true at all. my brother (who is currently studying to get his PhD in math) didnt find getting in was all that easy. but maybe im wrong...

I'm sure there is at least one school I could get into

How did you figure that out? I'd love to know!! I was just rejected by a university I took classes at as a high school student AND had offered me a full scholarship as an undergrad (I turned it down and went somewhere else).

I'm sure I can get in to at least one school...but it's going to cost thousands to figure out which one that is! :p

Because I go there right now and I know the right teachers to talk to to pressure the grad advisor into letting me in... Of course I can't get the PH.D that I really want there but I can always try and work my way up the chain.

I started this thread so I wanted to share some good news! The director of graduate studies from my alma mater just called and told me: I'm accepted to their master's program! They offered me full tuition and a $10,000 stipend *yay* I still have 7 schools to hear back from...but it doesn't matter, I have an option!

I started this thread so I wanted to share some good news! The director of graduate studies from my alma mater just called and told me: I'm accepted to their master's program! They offered me full tuition and a $10,000 stipend *yay* I still have 7 schools to hear back from...but it doesn't matter, I have an option!

Rock on! Welcome to the ranks of graduate students everywhere!!! ;)

congratulations!!!!!!!

Woohooo! Good for you, let me spare you the suspense though....it's just like undergrad only more studying!! I'm in grad school for anesthesia right now...and yah that sounds really cool to say, but it just means I study my @ss off!! Oh, and the student loan debt is great too... ;)

Woohooo! Good for you, let me spare you the suspense though....it's just like undergrad only more studying!! I'm in grad school for anesthesia right now...and yah that sounds really cool to say, but it just means I study my @ss off!! Oh, and the student loan debt is great too... ;)

Depends on your major. I don't study more, just write a lot more! :)

I can imagine though for Med that you would study a lot more!

Most reactions

Back