Gradient Filters

Jhamb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking into buying a gradient filter. From my understanding the are usually square or rectangular correct? So I'm assuming that they also take a special lens mount as well? They aren't very easy to find online, but from looking around online I found a Tonika 58mm round one. Here in Japan I've been to Yodobashi Camera and they told me I needed to special order the standard 4x4 and they cant get the mount. Does anyone know of an easy find or have a better idea on where I can get them? Thanks!:D

Cokin has been offering square filters for decades, there are other firms too. Cokin has holders that accepts different sized adapters for various lenses. Square filters just slip in. Do a Google search on Cokin. They are made in France.

I wouldn't recommend the round grad filters. The split is almost always in the middle...which really limits your choices for composing your shots. The beauty of a square (rectangular) filter is that you can slide it, so that the split fits the composition you want.

I used to used them more, but one of my favorite landscapes to shoot are in the mountains...and they seldom give you a flat horizon to line your filter up to. So I prefer to apply this type of filter effect with software.

You can bypass the filter holder and use gaff tape... tape it directly to the lens. I'd rather carry around a small roll of gaff than a large adapter contraption that may or may not work in conjuction with my CPL filter.

You can bypass the filter holder and use gaff tape... tape it directly to the lens. I'd rather carry around a small roll of gaff than a large adapter contraption that may or may not work in conjuction with my CPL filter.
Why tape it? Why not just hold the filter in front of the lens (unless you're shooting a long exposure)?

Why tape it? Why not just hold the filter in front of the lens (unless you're shooting a long exposure)?
Bingo.

All of the mounts and filters seem to have long waiting lists. Seems strange since well.....they are just filters whats so hard about making more?

Like I have said previously, not everyone has steady hands. I have problems getting non blurred images with IS at a faster speed than most of the better people here would get on a windy day balanced on one foot one handing the camera. I would have some SERIOUS problems trying to hold a filter, lining it up, and taking a non camera shaking photo. Hopefully, one day I will be much more steady, but as of right now I would have to have a holder for my filter.

Well I'm pretty sure that if your going to be using a ND filter, "Usually" your going to want a tripod anyways because your most likely going to be shooting with a longer then hand holdable SS, which in that case you would be able to hole the filter in two hands. As far as the gradient ND filter goes according to Tony Sweet its a good idea to have a little bit of movement to "blend" the line between ND dark and the clear.

Most reactions

Back