Graffiti victims

tb2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Think graffiti's a problem of the modern world? If these two could talk they'd have a tale to tell! For more info go to http://photoreflect.blogspot.com

Ashwellthorpe%20%20tomb.jpg

Everyone should go read your thoughts on this, too!
Sorry sight... :(

Nicely done.
There is a problem with graffitti here too. Ours is mostly gang slogans and I have found graffitti in the middle of nowhere, like on bridges, hydro utility boxes, cemeteries, and even newpaper boxes.
It is really a shame that they have to ruin anothers artwork. The detail in these are amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Oh, so sad that such beautiful carved statues have been defaced. Amazing shots, though, in the amount of detail you captured. I sooo enjoy your posts, tb2.

i like the picture,
but, this is not graffitti
it is vandalism.

Thanks for the comments. My interest in church architecture means I see a lot of these kinds of tombs. It's a small minority that are defaced in this way, and it was the unusual brightness of the location which made the graffiti stand out. In fact, this shot, unusually for me, was hand-held. The defacement of the figures reminded me that we've had vandalism as long as there have been people, and that the pathetic motivation for scratching your initials on an alabaster tomb is not so different to that which causes someone to spray-paint a tag on a bridge.

Regards, Tony

http://photoreflect.blogspot.com

tb2 said:
Thanks for the comments. My interest in church architecture means I see a lot of these kinds of tombs. It's a small minority that are defaced in this way, and it was the unusual brightness of the location which made the graffiti stand out. In fact, this shot, unusually for me, was hand-held. The defacement of the figures reminded me that we've had vandalism as long as there have been people, and that the pathetic motivation for scratching your initials on an alabaster tomb is not so different to that which causes someone to spray-paint a tag on a bridge

Regards, Tony

http://photoreflect.blogspot.com

:grumpy:

my opinion,
there is a HUGE difference between bored teenagers with nothing better to do
and someone who is a graffitti artist's motivation, and no im not saying anyone with 99Cents
to spend on a can of wal-mart spray paint is a graffitti artist either.
well, all im trying to say is that that is not graffitti
it is pure defacing of property.
i know many will argue that doing a peice under a bridge is defacing property

i dont know were im going with this.

But sometimes the "graffiti" is itself history, I'm thinking of some of the Napoleonic war prisons with the graffiti added by the prisoners incarcerated in them. Obviously this work is modern, but sometimes it goes beyond the first glance.

If you read Tony's thoughts on this photo in his blog you will find out that much of this is NOT modern, which is what he wants to point out, among other things, but some dates go back to 1843 or so... must go read his thoughts again to be sure...

Well, no, it only says "dates from the eighteenth and nineteenth century are clearly legible" ... but, yes, well, these scribblings are of a historic nature, too.

Do you know what, i think its great, its not a problem with the modern world, are cave paintings horrind to look at thousands of years later, its meraley an opinion, i love it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back