Great Horned owl baby - I'm rather proud of this one.

Phranquey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For those of you who have been keeping up on the progress of "my" babies, here is my latest entry.

I was itching to try out the new tree stand (the lengths we will go to....),and today was absolutely beautiful here. I got set up later this afternoon, since that is when the sun is behind me. They were very cautious of me for about an hour, but after sitting very still for a while, they began to move about. They cannot really stand very well yet, so they just kinda waddle about, but this one finally got a bit adventurous and decided to show a little more of himself.

This is about 20% crop, and I did take a little liberty of cloning out some owl poop from the very left edge of the picture, as it tended to draw the eye away.

Babyowl5.jpg

Nice pic!
Owls don't poop tho, They regurgitate pellets.

I think your wrong, they just throw up what they cant digest (hair, bones,etc)

Great shot!

I think your wrong, they just throw up what they cant digest (hair, bones,etc)

Great shot!

could be ....I know they reguritate pellets of what they don't digest tho ...I've seen them lots of times.

Disected one in 4th grade =)

Wow, nice shot.

Awesome pic. Pretty cool that you post pics of them every now and then. They grow up very fast, dont they.
And owls most certainly poop. The prey item goes into the crop first. There the meat part (and other stuff that they can diggest) goes through to the rest of the diggestive system. The stuff that they cant diggest is formed into the pellet and is regurgitated. And you still have some waste from the diggestive stuff and see they also poop....i know, cause i used to clean it when i had a internship thing at a birds of prey place :)

What an experience for one, and what wonderful photos resulting from that experience. I'm always happy to see some new photos of "your" owl chicks! :D Do you secretly call them by a name you gave them (and if in your head only)?

Absolutely brilliant, Phranquey, I'm really impressed with this shot. Great colours, perfect focus, nice composition and by the sounds of it subtle but necessary PPing.

So glad you got a shot like this from your owls, makes all the effort worthwhile :)

C.

I think we have them here also or at least thats what it sounded like when I looked up the sounds.

I haven't gotten the chance to see them in daylight, but I believe they're in my neighbors backyard.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back